These vegan zucchini brownies are ultra rich and moist. This is a crave-worthy dessert that the whole family will jump on board with.
This is a healthy, vegan chocolate dessert that will curb those sweet cravings with one single bite.
Vegan Zucchini Brownies are...
- Great for chocolate lovers
- Nutrient rich
- Freezer friendly
- Made with simple ingredients
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
How to Make Zucchini Brownies
- Start by preheating the oven and prep your pan.
- In a bowl, add coconut oil, vanilla, and brown sugar.
- Warm up your chocolate chips till fully melted. Add cocoa powder and baking powder, and stir again. Then add in flour a little at the time.
- Add in your shredded zucchini and non-dairy milk.
- Spread batter into pan and bake until the brownies are fully baked.
- Allow to cool a bit, slice, and devour.
Tips and Tricks
You don't need anything fancy to grate your zucchini. Go ahead and use a cheese grater or your food processor.
Both work great, and will give you the end result you want.
You are more than welcome to use any of your favorite dairy-free alternatives. Almond milk, soy milk, or cashew milk are all fine. I prefer almond milk for most of my baking.
Don't Overbake The Brownies
Make sure to keep an eye on the oven. All ovens bake slightly differently, so use the time in the recipes as a guide. Don't let your brownies overbake or they'll be too dry.
Go ahead and reach for any of your favorite chocolate chips - milk, semi-sweet, or even a white chocolate. Any will work, and all will add nice flavor to the brownies.
To keep things vegan, choose a brand that is labeled as vegan-friendly or a dark chocolate variety. You can also use cacao chips.
Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the brownies for a nice twist in flavor. This is one of my favorite pairings to go with chocolate. I think you will love the little twist to the brownies.
Vegan Zucchini Brownies FAQs
Why add zucchini to brownies?
Zucchini in brownies adds a ton of moisture and will make your vegan brownies ultra moist. It's also a great way to sneak some hidden veggies into a family-friendly dessert.
Can I make these brownies gluten-free?
If you have a favorite gluten-free flour blend, you are more than welcome to swap it out for the all-purpose flour. Just make sure to measure properly.
How to store zucchini brownies?
I personally store my brownies in the refrigerator. It allows a longer shelf life and keeps the brownies moist. Eat your brownies cold or allow the brownies to warm up at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.
Can you freeze zucchini brownies?
Yes, zucchini brownies freeze really well. Just allow the brownies to fully cool, first. Then transfer into a proper freezer container and freeze up to 3–4 months.
When you're ready to eat them, place your brownies in the fridge overnight to thaw or allow them to thaw on the counter. Or if you want a warm fresh-out-of-the-oven flavor, warm them up in the microwave.
Just don't overheat your brownies, or you might burn the chocolate chips.
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F.
- In a big bowl whisk coconut oil, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl into the microwave for 30 seconds, checking every 10 seconds to make sure it doesn't burn. Add melted chocolate to the previous bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add cocoa powder and baking powder and stir again. Then add all-purpose flour little by little until everything is well combined. At this point, it will be dry.
- Add shredded zucchini and stir very well.
- Once everything is combined, add non-dairy milk. Between ¼ to ⅓ cup should be enough to have a moist—but not light—batter.
- Line a baking tray (8’’x12’’) with baking paper.
- Spread the batter onto the baking paper until everything is well covered.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes and enjoy! It makes 12 pieces.