Serve up a single-serve Vegan Mug Brownie for an after-dinner dessert. If you have a sweet tooth, you will love this brownie in a mug. It's got loads of sweet chocolate flavor, and it only takes 60 seconds to cook!
This microwave brownie recipe has really come in handy for me. Whenever I get those random sweet tooth cravings, I can whip up this dessert in minutes.
If you have a little more time, you might want to whip up some Chocolate Pots de Creme or a tasty Strawberry Chocolate Dessert Pizza to share. If you're feeling really fancy, you could even make yourself some Triple Chocolate Honeycomb Cakes.
Raid that pantry, grab those supplies, and let's make some vegan brownies in the microwave.
Why You Will Love Vegan Mug Brownies...
- Cooks in 60–90 seconds (depending on microwave)
- Whip together batter in minutes
- Uses simple pantry ingredients
And don’t forget to grab a copy of my free vegan cheat sheet too! It’s packed with my favorite easy substitutions to help you make just about any recipe vegan!
How to Make Vegan Mug Brownies
- Start by adding your dry ingredients into a microwave safe mug.
- Add in the almond milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Microwave as directed.
Full instructions and list of ingredients are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips and Tricks for Vegan Mug Brownies
Make sure to use a large enough mug, as the batter will rise a bit as it cooks in the microwave. Also, make sure your mug is microwave safe, and be cautious as you remove the mug from the microwave.
You will want to cook your mug brownies anywhere from 60 seconds to 90 seconds. To know when the brownies are done, take a toothpick and stick it into the brownie to see if it comes out clean of batter.
Note that the chocolate chips will be melted and will show up on toothpick if you poke into one. Make sure you're testing the done-ness of your brownie, not the melty-ness of the chocolate chips!
Make sure to mix the ingredients well so they are combined. Then, once you are done mixing, cook as directed.
Variations To Vegan Mug Brownies
I used dark cocoa powder, but you are welcome to use regular cocoa powder if you do not have dark on hand. Your mug brownie will just be a bit more mellow in flavor.
Chocolate Chips and Nuts
You can leave out the chocolate chips and nuts or swap them for other tasty bits. White chocolate chips, pecans, peanut butter chips, etc. can be used to replace the stir-in ingredients.
Vegan Mug Brownies FAQs
What is a mug brownie, exactly?
Have you heard of a mug cake? A mug brownie is very similar. You make a single-serve brownie in a mug—no oven needed! Just cook it for a minute in the microwave.
Can I make this a gluten-free mug brownie?
You could use a gluten-free flour blend to replace the all-purpose flour. Just make sure to adjust the measurement of the flour blend if you do so.
What type of chocolate chips should I use?
You can use any brand of dairy-free chocolate chips. Alternatively, you could cut up a dairy-free chocolate candy bar instead. Mix the chips or chocolate shards in at the end, right before cooking in the microwave.
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
- Place dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder) in a large microwave-safe mug.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk, oil, and vanilla extract and stir to combine well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 60 seconds on high power.
- Check the mug brownie. If it is still wet, cook for another 30 seconds. Usually, they remain just a bit raw in the centre after the first 60 seconds, and that’s a clue to stop; if not, it could end up overcooked and dry.