Serve up this Vegan Key Lime Pie for your next summer cookout. This no-bake key lime pie is creamy, tangy, and the perfect pie to whip up for summer fun!
This vegan pie has a homemade pie crust and creamy filling. Toss the lime pie in the fridge and let it set up, then slice and serve. Add some lime zest to add the perfect pop of color!
I love pies all year round, but for summer, I love fruity pies. This No-Bake Vegan Strawberry Pie is super fresh and tasty! But I also love this gooey, caramelly Vegan Banoffee Pie. As for key lime pies, I can't get enough of them!
This Vegan Key Lime Pie is...
- A no-bake recipe
How To Make Vegan Key Lime Pie
- Start by working on your key lime pie crust. Use a food processor to crumble up the nuts, dates, coconut, and other ingredients for the crust.
- Pour into prepared pie dish, and then press crust tight into pan. Refrigerate while you work on your pie filling.
- Now cream up the ingredients for the pie filling. Once well mixed, pour filling into pan on top of crust.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Then garnish the pie with lime zest and slices of lime.
Full directions for this recipe are in the printable recipe card below.
Tips & Tricks For Vegan Key Lime Pie
Some stores don't carry key limes, so if you run into issues, just use classic limes in place of key limes.
Classic limes are larger in size and will produce more lime juice. In fact, each lime will produce a different amount of juice depending on its quality. So, use the required number of limes as a guide.
I find that a food processor is a must-have tool for making the perfect crumbly crust texture that presses easily into the pie pan and holds its shape.
Variations To Key Lime Pie
You can use graham crackers, vegan butter, and a sprinkle of sugar if you want a classic graham cracker crust. Fortunately, most graham crackers are vegan! Choose whatever graham cracker brand you prefer.
Make up a vegan whipped topping to dollop around the edge of the pie. Or just sprinkle some lime zest over the pie, and leave the sliced limes off if you want. You have free reign to decorate your pie as you would like!
Instead of making a large pie, use a muffin tin and create single serve pies! Making mini pies makes it easy to serve to multiple guests. I recommend putting a cupcake liner in—that way you can easily remove the mini pies from the muffin tin.
Vegan Key Lime Pie FAQs
What is the difference between limes and key limes?
While key limes are smaller in size, they are a lot more vibrant in flavor. Key limes are extremely tart and bursting with citrus flavor! You won't need as much juice key lime juice as regular lime juice for a bold and zesty lime flavor.
How to up the level of lime flavor in the pie?
Instead of a ¼ cup of key lime juice, use ⅓ cup or even ½ cup. This is going to elevate the lime flavor in the pie tremendously. Just adjust recipe to fit your flavor preference!
How do you store key lime pie?
Since this is a no-bake pie, you will find it is best to store your pie covered in the fridge for 4–5 days. Slice and serve as you would like.
For the crust:
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 1 cup dates
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
For the filling:
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup key lime juice
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon key lime zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the crust:
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate with a small amount of coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the pecans until chopped small.
- Then add coconut flakes and oatmeal, and process until mixture is crumbly.
- Add the dates and coconut oil, and process until the mixture sticks together.
- You may need to start and stop several time to break up the dates.
- Press crust into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Place dish with crust in fridge while the filling is prepared.
For the filling:
- In a large bowl, stir the coconut cream, coconut milk, maple syrup, lime juice, arrowroot starch, key lime zest, and vanilla until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust, and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours (or overnight) to set.
- Garnish with lime slices and extra lime zest, if desired. Serve cold