Easy vegan horseradish sauce! This homemade sauce features fresh horseradish, dairy-free mayonnaise, and a few other simple ingredients for an end result that's savory, creamy, and with just the right amount of spice. Whether with a vegan roast or in wraps and sandwiches, it can take any meal to the next level!
Have you ever tried horseradish sauce? If not, you're missing out! I've eaten different variations of this dip throughout my whole life, and it's also one of my mum's favorites. In particular when comfort food and holiday season comes around, we both want to put it on absolutely everything.
While it's possible to get vegan horseradish sauce in some stores, making your own at home is super easy. Plus, if you have some horseradish growing in your garden, this is the perfect way to use it up. And the result is incredibly delicious!
Deep and with a distinctive flavor, a generous dollop of dairy-free horseradish sauce is guaranteed to pair well with your go-to plant based dinner. Or, you can serve it as a dip as well! Make it in 10 minutes and have your favorite condiment ready to go in the fridge.
Ingredients for vegan horseradish sauce
- Fresh horseradish. You can also use prepared horseradish, but you may have to adjust the amount of apple cider vinegar.
- Maple syrup for a hint of sweetness and balance.
- Lemon juice. Adjust the amount you use depending on how much of a tangy flavor you would like.
- Mustard. Check the packaging because not all brands are vegan-friendly.
- Dairy-free mayonnaise. You can also use unsweetened vegan yogurt of your choice, or vegan sour cream.
- Salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the amount to your preference.
How to make vegan horseradish sauce
Firstly, peel and grate the horseradish. This can be quite tricky, so use a good quality vegetable peeler and grater. You can also use a food processor to finely chop the horseradish.
Then, transfer it to a bowl together with all the other ingredients. Mix together well, and adjust the ingredients to your personal preference. For instance, for a stronger flavor, add more grated horseradish. Add extra lemon juice for more tanginess, and maple syrup for a more mellow flavor.
Then, whip it for a few seconds using a handheld mixer. This will help you achieve a fluffier texture.
Serve immediately, or transfer to a jar to store.
How to make and store prepared horseradish
The vegan horseradish sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight jar. If you want to keep it for longer, I would recommend making prepared horseradish by stirring together the grated horseradish, lemon juicce, salt and pepper. You can then keep it in the fridge in an airtight jar for up to 3 weeks. Now, whenever you want to make the sauce, simply combine the prepared horseradish with all the other ingredients, and serve immediately.
How to serve dairy-free horseradish sauce
The great thing about vegan horseradish sauce is how versatile it is! You can, for instance:
- Add it to a chickpea salad sandwich, a vegan Crunchwrap, or any other wrap/sandwich of your choice.
- Serve it as part of a vegan Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It pairs well with main courses like vegan ham and a nut roast.
- It's an ideal condiment to serve alongside a vegan schnitzel.
- Serve it as a dip for croquettes or sweet potato wedges.
- Add it to a weeknight dinner like vegan tempeh ribs or piroshki (Russian-inspired pastries).
Other amazing vegan sauce recipes
- My easy vegan cheese sauce is delicious and versatile!
- Eggplant 'caviar' is very simple and delicious.
- You can't go wrong with a flavorful spinach artichoke dip.
- Spicy vegan cashew cream is great for putting on everything!
If you give this vegan horseradish sauce a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Mixing bowl
- Handheld mixer
- Add the grated horseradish, maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard, vegan mayonnaise, salt and black pepper to a mixing bowl. Mix together well, and adjust the ingredients to your personal preference. For instance, for a stronger flavor, add more grated horseradish. Add extra lemon juice for more tanginess, and maple syrup for a more mellow flavor.¼ cup horseradish, 1 tsp maple syrup, 2 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp mustard, 1 cup vegan mayonnaise, ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp black pepper
- Whip it for a few seconds using a handheld mixer. This will help you achieve a fluffier texture. Then, serve immediately or transfer to a jar to store.