Most of the time when I veganize or make a meatless version of a classic recipe, it feels special because I can now eat a dish that I enjoyed earlier in life. But this one is different, because I’ve never been a big egg eater. Oh, I could handle eggs if they were mixed all up in something and not highly detectable to my palate, but an egg sandwich? Not for me. This always made me feel like I was missing something. People love egg sandwiches—so they must be really good. I always wished I understood why. Now, thanks to these vegan breakfast sandwiches, I do!
The “eggs” here are made from a seasoned chickpea flour batter. They’re savory and delightfully spongy. (Yes, "spongy" is good in this scenario!) The outside of the patties is ever-so-slightly crispy, kind of like mini-omelettes, and very much like the little egg patties you'll often find on breakfast sandwiches. Topped with avocado, baby spinach and Cholula hot sauce-flavored cashew cheese, they’re also super fun and satisfying to bite into.
Eggs are really easy to prepare, which is part of what makes them great for morning meals, but the chickpea "eggs" in these sandwiches are easy, too; they cook up in less than 5 minutes. You can make things even easier on yourself on groggy weekday mornings by mixing the dry ingredients the night before and blending up your Cholula cheese ahead of time. Come morning, make your eggs by adding liquid ingredients to the dry, then stir, grill, toast and assemble.
It’s worth mentioning that I did test these on someone who is fond of egg sandwiches, and can confirm that they do possess all the good traits of eggs. Egg hater-approved and egg lover-approved. Can’t go wrong with that.
For the Cholula Cashew Cheese:
For the Chickpea Patties:
For the Sandwiches:
- 4 English muffins split and toasted
- ½ cup jarred salsa
- ½ ripe avocado sliced
- ½ cup fresh baby spinach leaves
Make the Cholula Cashew Cheese:
- Drain and rinse the cashews, then put them in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the S-blade. Process into a thick paste, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the lemon juice, milk, Cholula sauce and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Make the Chickpea Patties:
- Stir together the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, coriander, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in the water and soy sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, drop the chickpea batter in scant ¼ cupfuls onto the skillet, forming 4 patties, each about 4 inches in diameter.
- Cook the patties until small bubbles begin to form in the center, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook another minute on opposite sides. Each patty should be lightly browned on both sides. Remove from heat and transfer to a plate.
Assemble the Sandwiches:
- Spread 1 tablespoon of salsa on the top and bottom halves of each English muffin.
- Place a few baby spinach leaves over the salsa, then place a chickpea patty on top of the spinach layer. Spread with a layer of Cholula cashew cheese over the patty, and then top with 2-3 avocado slices. Top with a few more spinach leaves, and then the top half of the muffin. Repeat with the remaining muffins.