This vegan breakfast burrito bowl is a fantastic way to get the day started! Made with black beans, smoky jackfruit and oil-free maple roasted sweet potatoes, it's packed full of flavours and healthy ingredients. Gluten-free, oil-free, incredibly easy.
We all know of breakfast burritos. But a breakfast burrito bowl really steps things up. Think an abundance of vibrant ingredients, plenty of flavours and textures to keep each bite interesting, and a lot of savoury comfort to set you up for a great day. Count me in!
You guys know I love my savoury breakfasts. They're big, cosy and give me a lot of energy to be super productive throughout the morning. This option is a current favourite of mine! I'm sure you will end up loving it too.
Breakfast burrito bowl with maple sweet potatoes
I decided to base this burrito bowl on sweet potatoes. I know that a typical burrito ingredient is rice, but sweet potato feels more appropriate for breakfast. Although, if you want to switch it up for rice of your choice, all the power to you!
Making oil-free maple roasted sweet potato is super easy. Simply toss your sweet potato pieces with maple syrup and salt. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for at least 15-20 minutes, but perhaps longer, depending on the size of your sweet potato pieces. I would totally recommend making extra to use in other recipes.
In my opinion, no burrito bowl is complete without a hint of smokiness/spice. That's where the smoky jackfruit comes in. To make it, all you need is:
- Red onion
- Sea salt
- Garlic granules
- Chopped tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Plant based milk.
To start, sauté the onion for a couple of minutes to soften it. Then, add the jackfruit, sea salt, paprika, and garlic granules. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, before adding the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and plant based milk. Simmer over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until thick and fragrant.
The perfect black beans
Black beans are a must for a breakfast burrito bowl. My preparation method is very simple and only takes around 5 minutes. in order to make them, you will need:
- Nutritional yeast
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
Add all the ingredients to a saucepan. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring frequently and pressing down some of the beans to create a 'refried bean texture'. After this is done, you are ready to assemble your bowl! It's up to you which other ingredients and vegetables you pick, but here I went for lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sweetcorn, and a generous drizzle of tahini. Serve and enjoy!
Tips and tricks for the best breakfast burrito bowl
- Serve with plenty of vegetables! The more texture and variety you can create, the better.
- Be generous with spices. Don't lessen the amounts because a good amount of seasoning is the best way to create amazing flavours.
- If you meal prep, you can make all the ingredients ahead of time and assemble the bowl as needed.
- Add nuts on top for a little bit of extra crunch.
You will love this amazing savoury breakfast!
It is ...
- Comforting and cosy
- Full of flavour
- Made with healthy and whole ingredients
- Filling and satisfying
- Easy to make
- Great for meal prep
- A really unique way to enjoy burrito flavours!
Other savoury vegan breakfast ideas
- Buckwheat crepes with mushrooms
- Vegan chickpea omelette with tamari mushrooms
- Oat and tofu vegan 'egg' muffins
- Buckwheat pancakes with tahini veggie slaw
- Vegan savoury oatmeal with zucchini and black beans
Let me know in the comments: what's an essential burrito bowl ingredient for you? If you give this burrito bowl a go, be sure to tag me on Instagram (@ohmyveggies) so I can see your creations, and leave your feedback in the comments below together with a star rating!
- Conventional oven
- Frying pan
For the maple roasted sweet potatoes
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp salt
For the smoky jackfruit
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 can jackfruit draind
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- ½ can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ cup plant based milk
For the black beans
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 lemon juice of
To serve (optional)
- 2 cups lettuce chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 large avocado
- ¼ cup sweetcorn
- 2 tbsp tahini
Make the maple roasted sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 F.
- Mix together the sweet potato, maple syrup and salt. Transfer to a baking tray and bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of your potato chunks (more may be necessary if they are larger).
Make the smoky jackfruit
- To start, sauté the onion for a couple of minutes to soften it.
- Add the jackfruit, sea salt, paprika, and garlic granules. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, before adding the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and plant based milk.
- Simmer over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until thick and fragrant. Use this time to make the black beans
Make the black beans
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring frequently and pressing down some of the beans to create a 'refried bean texture'.
Assemble the bowl
- Serve the sweet potato, jackfruit and black beans in a large bowl with lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, sweetcorn, and a generous drizzle of tahini.
Something to say? Leave a comment.