Photos by Rikki Snyder.
Between the blueberries and the bananas, this is a dense, moist bread that makes a perfect weekend breakfast. Add a dollop of coconut milk whipped cream and it's a fantastic vegan dessert option too. And, like all great things, it freezes beautifully.
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut milk the kind in a can—not the light kind either!
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine the warm water and ground flax seeds in a large bowl. Let them sit for a few minutes, until the mixture has the consistency of egg whites.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Add the coconut milk, lemon juice, coconut oil, sugar, and bananas to the flax mixture. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and fold in the blueberries.
- Spray 3 small bread tins (or 1 large one) with an oil mister or grease them lightly with coconut oil. Pour the batter into the tins and place them on a baking sheet. Bake the small loaves for 30-40 minutes, or a large one for about an hour, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean; the bread will be dense and moist. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove the loaves from the bread pans and finish cooling on a rack.
- To store leftovers, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate.