A rich, creamy veggie dish that manages to be cozy and fresh all at the same time. This recipe also gives you the inside on how to make perfect risotto.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 4 scallions finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- ⅔ cup dry white wine
- 4 - 6 cups vegetable broth kept hot on the stove
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup Parmesan grated
- 1 cup fava beans shelled
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 lemon cut into thin wedges
- kosher salt
- Black Pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat until hot. Add the shallot, scallion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, sweating for 6-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent in appearance. Add the wine, bring to the boil, and then reduce to a simmer for a further 2 minutes.
- Incorporate the hot broth by the ladleful, stirring and simmering until the rice has absorbed all the stock before adding the next ladle.
- Continue in this fashion until the rice is tender to the bite and creamy, usually about 20-30 minutes. You may not need to use all the broth.
- Meanwhile, cook the asparagus and fava beans in a large saucepan of salted boiling water until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Drain well and refresh in a bowl of ice water. Drain again, pat dry, and cut the asparagus spears in half.
- Once the rice is ready, stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and top with the asparagus, fava beans and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.