vegetarian recipes

Recipe | Spicy Mango Pizza with Black Beans & Zucchini

Spicy Mango Pizza

Spicy Mango Pizza with Black Beans and Zucchini
Before we get to the Spicy Mango Pizza, I have something really important to share with you. Are you ready?

I’m writing this post while sitting at a desk.

And fine, maybe that doesn’t sound all that important to you, but it is to me. Because for the year and a half that I’ve been blogging, I’ve been writing most of my posts while sitting on the couch. And, more often than not, I’m half-watching episodes of Real Housewives or Mob Wives while writing. (“Oh,” you’re saying to yourself, “that explains a lot.”)

But I’ve decided I need to be more professional with my blog. I need to have set hours for it. I need to have a place for it. I need to treat it like a business, not as a hobby. And not because I’m raking in big bucks as a blogger (ha!), but because when I treat it as a hobby, it has a way of encroaching on my free time. If I treat it like a business, my hope is that I’ll be able to set better boundaries with myself. (Although I neglected to mention I’m sitting at my desk writing this on a Saturday afternoon–well, one step at a time, right?)

Spicy Mango Pizza
Another necessary step in being more professional about food blogging is having a taste-tester. Luckily, I’ve had mine since I started my blog: my husband. If a recipe just doesn’t cut it, he lets me know–often before I even attempt to make it. After I made this Spicy Mango Pizza, I remarked to him that I really liked it and his response was, “Yeah, it was awesome! I’m shocked.”

“You’re shocked? Gee, thanks.”

He explained that he wasn’t sure the black beans would work on pizza before he tried it. And honestly, I had the same thought, which is why I only used 1/4 cup. That really is the perfect amount–the mango is the star here and adding any additional black beans would take away from that. As they are, the ingredients work together perfectly–sweet, spicy, and fresh, this pizza is a nice change of pace from the usual tomato-sauce-and-mozzarella standard.

Spicy Mango Pizza with Black Beans & Zucchini

Spicy Mango Pizza with Zucchini & Black Beans [Slice]

Are you in a pizza rut? This Spicy Mango Pizza is a delicious change of pace–oh, and it’s done in less than 30 minutes!

• Yield: 6

• 1 prepared pizza crust
  • 3/4 c. medium or hot salsa (if the salsa is chunky, you may need a full cup)
  • 3/4 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese
  • 1/2 c. thinly sliced zucchini
  • 1/2 c. sliced mango
  • 1/4 c. cooked or canned black beans, rinsed
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 1/4 c. cilantro leaves

1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package. Place crust on baking sheet and spread salsa onto it, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Top with cheese, zucchini, mango and beans. Bake according to crust instructions (usually 12-15 minutes); top with green onions and cilantro prior to serving.

Nutrition

• Serving Size: 1 slice of pizza

Aylin @ Glow Kitchen
    June 18, 2012 at 9:03 am

I Love the flavor combination on this one. Mangoes have become my new best friend in the kitchen these days!

June 18, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I use mangoes constantly too. I just love the natural sweetness they add to a dish!

Carol @ Always Thyme to Cook
    June 18, 2012 at 9:22 am

Looks delicious! We love that combination of sweet and spicy!

June 18, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Me too. I like spicy food, but adding a little sweetness makes it even better!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh
    June 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

That’s so funny, I’m at a desk writing this response. I wish I could say it was because I felt the need to be more professional and not because we had to send my stupid laptop in for repair so I could get back to writing posts from the comfort of my couch and Hello Kitty pajama pants. Oops, I’ve said too much.

I make something similar but with pineapple. I’m kind of in a down phase with mangoes right now after going batty for them a few weeks ago. I’m a weirdo. I love my food in stages.

June 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Look at us, totally fulfilling the stereotype of people who work from home! When I’m doing a lot of recipe testing, I have a pair of velour sweats that I like to rock in the kitchen. I tell myself it’s because I need maximum comfort while cooking and photographing and that it’s not because I’m lazy. Nope, not at all.

I do food stages too. I was hoping no one would notice that I just posted another mango recipe on Thursday. Ha!

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    June 18, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You’re so funny! I write most of my post sitting in bed at night, drinking a beer, watching (not really watching as much as listening to as back ground noise) something on TV that I TiVo’d with the intention of actually watching. And I love that you put mango on pizza.

June 18, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I’m so glad I’m not the only one! I can never justify just sitting and watching TV, so I always have to do something else at the same time and lately that something else is blogging. But now I’m going to have to find a different something else.

June 18, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I hear you! I had to set specific hours to blog because i was spending too much of my free time half-blogging. I found I am way more efficient this way. also, lovely pizza!

June 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Yes! And that’s what it is–I’m half blogging, half doing other things, so I’m completely inefficient. Since my blog has kind of become a part-time job for me, I need to start treating it like one. And, like, giving myself some time off.

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell
    June 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Don’t you love it when it works out? Sounds heavenly as usual.

June 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

It definitely makes up for the German pancake I burnt to a crisp this weekend!

[email protected] eco friendly homemaking
    June 18, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Oh my goodness this looks so delicious!

June 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Thank you! Mangoes make just about anything taste even better. ๐Ÿ™‚

Courtney Rae Jones
    June 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

This sounds fantastic! Why have I never thought to put mango on pizza!? Must try this asap! ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for sharing yet another yummy looking recipe. Hope you have a wonderful week!

June 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm

The first time I had mango on pizza was at California Pizza Kitchen–they had this chicken & mango tandoori pizza (which I ordered without the chicken!) that was so amazingly good, but they took it off the menu. I’ve been playing around with ideas for recreating that pizza, but in the meantime, I did this one.

I hope you have a great week too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Courtney Rae Jones
        June 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Looking forward to your take on the tandoori mango pizza ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds delicious! California Pizza Kitchen often has really neat flavour/topping combinations. I wish we had one here! ๐Ÿ™‚

Notorious Spinks
    June 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I loveeeee pizza and this looks good. I’m going to try this. I usually make my homemade pizza w/ pita bread and pesto sauce. I’m eager to see how the salsa would work… making grocery list now.

June 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Ooh, pesto is one of my favorite pizza toppings! But I only have it that way when I make it myself, because pizzerias always charge extra for it.

Pam
    June 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hah, I was thinking the very same thing. Black beans? But I wam willing to give it a shot. I mean I have had refried beans on pizza many times when I lived in Washington of all places.

Happy Day to you!

Pam

June 18, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I’ve never had refried beans on a pizza, but I can see how that would work! It’s kind of like a tostada then?

June 18, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I’m not shocked at all. ๐Ÿ™‚ It looks really good, and I think a handful of black beans would work really well. This is a nice summery combination.

I know what you mean about working at a desk. It just works out better. You’re not getting distracted by the TV, sinking into the couch cushions, losing charge on your laptop. It especially helped once I started writing reviews for the newspaper, to have a central place to sort through notes and photos and not get sidetracked by other stuff.

June 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

It’s only been a few days since I started limiting blogging time to my desk and I already feel much more organized and efficient. And it’s nice not having my to-do lists and calendar and books all over the coffee table. ๐Ÿ™‚

Brenda Williams
    June 18, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I usually only blog on Saturday mornings when I have a load of laundry going. My computer is in our “craft room/bed room,” that was our granddaughter’s room before I added all my junk. I agree it is important to set at a desk only because you can be more organized. My cats prefer the desk too, makes it easier for them to walk across the keyboard as I type.

This pizza sounds so good. I love the black bean idea. Without the crust this would be a tasty salad too. LOVE the photos! Good job!

June 18, 2012 at 8:55 pm

My cats have been bothering me a lot more now that I’m working at the desk! I spent a good 20 minutes picking cat hair out of my keyboard this afternoon…

Natalie
    June 18, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen mango on a pizza .. It looks great, and easy too!

June 18, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I know it sounds a little strange, but it works really well!

Anna @ hiddenponies
    June 19, 2012 at 1:43 am

I’m commenting as I sit on my couch, exactly where I usually blog ๐Ÿ™‚ I like the idea of structure though, I’m much more productive that way and the separation/putting it away would probably be really good, I might have to hunt for a cute, inspiring desk. I love the flavour combo on this pizza and your husband’s reaction!

June 19, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Yes, you need a good workspace! That definitely helps. Before we moved here, my office was a cramped little room and I never wanted to use it. Now I have more space and it’s easier to be in there for extended periods of time. ๐Ÿ™‚ My desk is boring, but I’m putting up squirrel wallpaper in my office, which is definitely going to help me focus.

Katie
    June 19, 2012 at 4:15 am

I love the idea of mangoes and black beans on a pizza! Thanks for the recipe, it looks great!

June 19, 2012 at 6:20 pm

It’s different, but it works! ๐Ÿ™‚

myfudo
    June 19, 2012 at 4:42 am

This is a real wonderful combination. A little rules here and there will help you a bit, indeed. But I am sure though you are not on your couch or curled up in bed while writing, I know you feel comfort in writing this. It shows…that is why your posts come out fun, interesting and enjoyable. Keep posting!

June 19, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you for the kind words! ๐Ÿ˜€ That means a lot coming from you–you are one of my favorite writers! I always feel like I’m reading a food magazine when I’m reading your blog.

Kathy
    June 19, 2012 at 10:14 am

Yummy! This pizza looks tailored made for me!

April Decheine
    June 19, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Wow that looks so good! Beautiful picture too!

June 19, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Thank you! I always have trouble thinking of new and different ways to stage pizza photos!

June 19, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I love trying new things on pizza like this! Since pineapple is one of my favourite pizza toppings, it makes sense to try mango too, but I haven’t yet…the salsa is a great idea as a sauce and I think spicy is the way to go so that it doesnt’ taste like a dessert pizza. Sounds tasty!

June 20, 2012 at 8:42 am

Oh, a mango dessert pizza! That’s a really good idea, actually. ๐Ÿ˜€

Rikki
    June 19, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Oh I just love different pizza recipes like these, they are always such a big hit when I have guests over! And I write all my blog posts sitting on my bed which is kind of ironic because there is a beautiful roll top desk right next to my bed that I should be using instead. You’ve inspired me to move my blog work to my desk! haha

June 20, 2012 at 8:40 am

You will feel a lot better working at the desk! I don’t know what it is, but since I’ve stopped blogging on the couch, I am getting SO much more accomplished. And I feel so professional and business-like. ๐Ÿ™‚

Crystal
    June 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

That pizza is like a work of art, it’s gorgeous! I’m sure it tastes just as good.

June 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

Thank you! It really was pretty with the mango on top. ๐Ÿ™‚

gem
    June 20, 2012 at 2:12 am

Perfect timing – DH bought a bunch of cans of black beans from costco, and now I know what to do with them =)

June 20, 2012 at 8:34 am

Woo hoo! ๐Ÿ˜€ I love it when that happens!

BusyWorkingMama
    June 20, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Yum! Love the beautiful colors!

CulinarilyCourtney
    June 22, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Those mangoes certainly brought me over from my reader to comment, but I must say, I commend you for your new blogging perspective! I definitely treat my blog more as a hobby, and I often find that “write new post” falls to the bottom of my to-do list because of that. You inspired me!

June 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I usually write a few posts at a time because when inspiration hits, it hits, and I have to take advantage of it. So then when I’m busy, I don’t have to worry about not having time to write!

Abra
    June 22, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Hey! I follow you on pinterest and I just wanted to say that if I gain weight and lose all my teeth I am blaming you for creating/sharing these recipes. I will keep you posted on this prediction and you can expect a thank you note with a photo of my toothless face. ๐Ÿ™‚

June 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I can assure you that you will not lose any teeth eating my recipes! Not one! I’ve been eating my food for years and all of my teeth are in tact. ๐Ÿ™‚