Appetizers/ Entrees/ Recipes/ Sides/ Snacks/ vegetarian recipes

Grilled Caprese Naan Pizza

Grilled Caprese Naan Pizza Recipe

Grilled Caprese Naan PizzaWhen we were in Atlanta last week, we ate lunch at a restaurant a few blocks from our hotel called Naan Stop. I got a naanwich filled with chola (no, not that kind of chola) and a sweet apple-tamarind curry, which was messy, but delicious. Why are there not more naan restaurants?! There really should be.

I’m kind of convinced that naan is the new pita. You can use them both in the same ways–tear them into pieces and use them for dipping, make sandwiches with them, and use them instead of a traditional pizza crust. But what makes naan better than pitas is that now you can buy tasty naan in your local grocery store. While you can buy pitas too, so often they’re dry and tasteless. I am not a big fan of store-bought pitas, but I’m pretty crazy about naan.

Grape TomatoesGrilled Caprese Naan Pizza
I’ve used naan as a pizza crust before, but the difference in this naan pizza recipe is that this time, I grilled it first. You can do this on an outdoor grill if you have one, but I just used a cast iron grill pan–much easier! Grill both sides of the naan until it’s warmed and has nice grill marks on it, then top it with grape tomatoes, mozzarella, basil, and drizzle the whole thing with a balsamic reduction.

This is the kind of meal I could eat all summer long. It’s not fussy, it’s simple to make, and it tastes delicious. Even if you like your caprese without tomatoes. (Yeah, that would be me.)

This post was originally published on June 10, 2013

Grilled Caprese Naan Pizza

Grilled Caprese Naan Pizza Recipe

An easy summer pizza made with a grilled naan crust, fresh mozzarella, and grape tomatoes. Although I used a grill pan, you can also grill your naan on an outdoor grill.

• Yield: 2 servings

• 1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
  • 2 naan
  • Olive oil mister or cooking spray
  • A handful or two of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (use heirloom if you can!)
  • A handful or two of small fresh mozzarella balls (ciliegine)
  • 1/4 c. fresh basil ribbons
  • Salt + pepper to taste

1. Heat balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until syrupy and reduced to about a tablespoon, 8-10 minutes.
  2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Spray both sides of one naan with olive oil and place it in the pan, pressing down on the top of it with a spatula to sear. Cook on each side until just beginning to char, about 2-3 minutes. Repeat with second naan.
  3. Top each naan with tomatoes, cheese, and basil. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with balsamic reduction. Cut into wedges and serve.

If you can’t find ciliegine at your grocery store, you can buy a bigger size and uses slices of it on the pizza instead.

Kare @ Kitchen Treaty
    June 11, 2013 at 9:23 am

I asked my guy to throw a couple of naan onto the barbecue last week and he asked if it was pita bread. I’m all, no – way better! Love making pizza with it – it’s so easy. But mine are never as gorgeous as what you have going on here. That’s the prettiest pizza ever.

June 13, 2013 at 7:53 am

It’s funny, I had a vision in my head for how I wanted these to look and they did not turn out that way at all. ๐Ÿ™‚

Michael
        July 17, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Making this recipe tonight for friends! So excited! Hope I can make it as beautiful as yours! ๐Ÿ™‚

July 17, 2013 at 5:46 pm

As long as it tastes good, that’s what matters! ๐Ÿ™‚

Ronnie Fein
    June 11, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I use Naan for pizza also. It has a lovely softness texture but the crust edges get crispy too. Wonderful contrast. My last recipe had curried vegetables and cheese.

Caitlin
    June 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

it’s times like these where i REALLY wish i could eat naan, or even just tried it before going gluten-free. this looks spectacular!

June 13, 2013 at 7:41 am

Surely there has to be a recipe for gluten-free naan somewhere! Right?

Erin | The Law Student's Wife
    June 11, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I love naan, caprese, and pizza. Did you make this for me? Seriously–so simple, yet such great flavors. Everything to love!

June 11, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Oh my, this is gorgeous!! And, delish, of course!

Tracy
    June 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Not only does this recipe look like something delicious I can whip up, but the not chola link made me laugh out loud.. really hard!

June 13, 2013 at 7:33 am

I think you might be the only one who clicked on it–ha! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel Cooks
    June 12, 2013 at 7:43 am

This is pizza perfection. I need this for dinner tonight.

Erika
    June 12, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Caprese without tomatoes?! I laughed out loud. I’m glad you embraced the cherry tomatoes on here, though–they look so perfect with those little balls of mozzarella. Man, if you’re starting a naan fan club, I’ll join. Sigh. My boyfriend and I just tried Indika, one of the iconic Indian restaurants in Houston and he chose the garlic crusted naan, which was good–but they also had pistachio apricot, mushroom cheese and beet and amul naan! Don’t those sound amazing?!

June 13, 2013 at 7:27 am

I know, I have issues. ๐Ÿ™‚ I even order caprese salad at restaurants sometimes and give the tomatoes to my husband. Oh, and pistachio apricot naan sounds amaaaazing!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com
    June 12, 2013 at 11:24 pm

Mmmm… we love naan and have it with our curries all the time. Great pizza base too! This looks scrumptious, Kiersten ๐Ÿ™‚

angela @ another bite please
    June 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

i just tried making naan bread last month…another reason to try again for these pizzas…love the fresh summer flavors!

June 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I want to try making it too! Someday. ๐Ÿ™‚

Kat @ Stonefire Authentic Flatbreads
    June 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm

This looks absolutely amazing! So fresh and colorful – we love it. Quick question – did you use Stonefire Naan in this recipe?

June 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Yup, I did! Totally love it. ๐Ÿ˜€

Sarah | Yahoo! Shine
    June 13, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Holy wow! These photos are beyond stunning, and a great reminder of how simple an easy summer dinner can be. I’ve been meaning to use storebought naan as a pizza base–this is just the push I needed.

We’re gathering grilled recipes for this month’s Shine Supper Club and this would be a great addition. I hope you’ll join us!

June 13, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I would so go to a naan restaurant if there was one nearby! I love naan bread – I’ll sometimes eat it on its own with dip and call that lunch – and I agree that grocery store brands can be even better than the ones they serve at restaurants. I also love the concept of naan pizzas since they’re naturally personal sized and so easy to work with!

June 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I know, I hope someone opens one in Raleigh too! It was awesome. ๐Ÿ™‚

Courtney @ The Fig Tree
    June 14, 2013 at 12:31 am

Yummy! What a great idea. I love love love naan! And I love caprese. Great combo! I’ll have to make these at my upcoming birthday BBQ.

June 14, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Yay! I hope it’s a hit! ๐Ÿ™‚

June 16, 2013 at 10:34 pm

So beautiful!! And caprese is one of my favorite pizzas. I would also willingly take your share of tomatoes, the way I pass off pickle spears to friends. I also have a mad thing for naan, but I’ve never bought the grocery store kind — I think I’m afraid I’d go on a carb explosion if I don’t limit myself to Indian restaurant outings for naan. Looking at this is bringing me to that slippery slope, though.

June 18, 2013 at 9:25 pm

We can trade and I’ll give you my tomatoes and you can give me your pickle spears. ๐Ÿ˜€

sowmya
    June 26, 2013 at 11:40 pm

That looks beautiful !! So much light in ur photography makes it look more good ๐Ÿ™‚ lovely foods and photography ๐Ÿ™‚
    Glad to follow u and ur recipes

Peter @Feed Your Soul Too
    June 28, 2013 at 4:31 pm

this looks so good I featured it on my Friday Five – grilling over @ Feed Your Soul Too – http://www.feedyoursoul2.com/2013/06/friday-five-grilling.html

June 28, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for the mention!

Dede
    July 1, 2013 at 8:17 pm

This looks super easy and delicious! I’m excited to give this a try.

Phรด mai que
    July 3, 2013 at 4:42 am

Looks so yummy! This weekend I am going to try this for my kids. Thank you for the recipe, Kiersten!

July 5, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I hope they like it! ๐Ÿ˜€

[email protected] The Bread Makers
    July 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm

This recipe looks really good. I can’t wait it give it a try.

Brenda Williams
    July 6, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Love this recipe…I have never seen naan in our grocery store…I will have to look next time I go to OKC…we have one small store and Walmart to purchase groceries and I don’t do Walmart unless it is a earth shattering emergency of some kind.

July 13, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I live in a fairly small town here and even our grocery store sells naan now! Maybe yours will soon too! ๐Ÿ™‚

Abby
    September 24, 2014 at 6:36 pm

This looks wonderful! Quick question: do you think baking the naan in the oven, with the toppings, would work (instead of the grill?)

Anna
    June 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm

yumm this is such a great ideaaa!!!

Veronique
    February 24, 2017 at 12:14 pm

It looks so yummy, thanks for sharing Kiersten! I can’t wait to try!

Jill Roberts
    July 31, 2017 at 6:36 am

I finally got to make this grilled caprese naan pizza this past weekend and it was such a hit!! I found your post from Pinterest ! Thanks for sharing, Kiersten!

• 1 2 3