Appetizers/ Entrees/ Recipes/ Snacks/ vegetarian recipes

Portobello Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce and Kale

Portobello Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce & Kale

Portabella & Kale Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce
Do I post too many pizza recipes?

I hope the answer to this question is no, because I’m about to post another. A portobello pizza with garlic sauce and kale, to be exact.

I just couldn’t help myself! I’m feeling pretty jazzed about pizza lately since I made two discoveries:

1) The best whole wheat pizza crust recipe in existence.

2) The magic of pizza stones.

Pizza Dough
So let’s talk about the crust. In all of my previous pizza recipes, I’ve called for pre-made crust. When I’ve tried making my own pizza crust in the past, it never turned out well and it always took so much time to do—I mean, isn’t the point of pizza that it’s supposed to be a quick meal? And you expect me to make my own crust? Psshh. But after overcoming my fear of baking with yeast, I started experimenting with pizza crust. And then I found this recipe:

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Pin
Bookmark it, print it, pin it, whatever you need to do. Because this recipe is awesome. It tastes good, it’s easy (even with the yeast!), and the best part is, Martha Stewart includes instructions for making these crusts ahead and freezing them. So then when you want to make a quick pizza dinner, you’ll already have the crust ready to go. Brilliant, right?

And then I finally got a pizza stone. Being the shallow food blogger that I am, I bought it solely for aesthetics. My round stainless steel pizza pan is never photo-worthy, so I figured a stone would look much better in my pictures. But apparently these things aren’t just for looks because my crust turns out far better on the stone. Imagine that! No more unevenly baked crust. And here’s a little secret—you’re supposed to use cornmeal on your stone to prevent your pizza from sticking, but a little bit of parchment paper works much better.

Portobello Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce & Kale
So in summary, Martha Stewart Whole Wheat Pizza Crust + Cheapo Pizza Stone = Best Pizza Ever. And if you want to put my theory to the test, try this Portobella & Kale Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce. (Even if you don’t want to put my theory to the test, you should make this pizza. It works with pre-made crusts too!)

Portabella & Kale Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce

Portobello Pizza with Roasted Garlic Sauce & Kale

Instead of a traditional tomato-based sauce, this Portabella & Kale pizza is topped with a sauce made from roasted garlic.

• Yield: 4-6 servings

• 1 large head roasted garlic
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 large portabella mushroom, thinly sliced
  • 3 cups kale leaves, torn (not tightly packed!)
  • 1 prepared pizza crust or about 10 oz pizza dough, rolled into 13-inch circle (or less dough for a thinner crust, more for thicker)
  • 1 cup fontina or mozzarella cheese, shredded

1. Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pizza crust package or, if you’re using dough, preheat to 450°F. Place pizza stone or baking sheet in oven.
  2. Remove roasted garlic cloves from skins and place in small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and mash with fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
  3. Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushroom slices and cook until softened, 3–5 minutes. Add kale and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
  4. Place pizza crust on parchment paper. Spread roasted garlic sauce onto crust, leaving a 1-inch edge on all sides. Top with half of cheese, mushrooms, and kale, then remaining cheese.
  5. Carefully transfer pizza on parchment paper to pizza stone or baking sheet. Bake for time indicated on crust package or 10–15 minutes if using dough, or until crust is golden brown and kale is just beginning to crisp.

You can roast the garlic a few days in advance to shorten prep time; otherwise, allow another 45 minutes or so to make this recipe. Read my tutorial on roasting garlic here.

HilLesha
    January 21, 2013 at 10:39 pm

I’m all for the pizza recipes! I love pizza. 🙂

Rachel @ Bakerita
    January 22, 2013 at 2:16 am

This looks so good! I love roasted garlic on everything…and I also needed an excuse to buy a pizza stone. Looks like I have a really good one 🙂

January 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm

You can make cookies on them too! And other things. So see, it’s multi-functional–I just gave you another excuse. 🙂

Sara @my less serious life
    January 22, 2013 at 6:11 am

ahhh! yay for tackling your pizza dough fear – i was just considering making pizza this weekend – perfect!

January 22, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I don’t know what took me so long–everyone was right, it IS better homemade.

devora safran
    January 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi Kiersten:
    The emille Henry Pizza stone is the best out there. It has a fabulous glaze (lifetime warrentee) requiring no cornmeal or parchment paper ! We own Great NEWS COOKWARE STORE AND COOKING SCHOOL in San Diego.www.great-news.com. You can get them from us at the best prices out there. We would love to share more info with you about cookware and cooking items. Love your recipes by the way. Do you ever get to San Diego? Please look us up. We also have lots of local farms with amazing fresh produce! Devora

January 22, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Nope, I’m on the East Coast and I’ve never been to San Diego. Maybe someday! 🙂

mjskit
    January 22, 2013 at 11:14 am

Oh YUM! Have never tried the combination of Portabella and Kale, but it sure sounds good especially with the garlic sauce!!!! I just started making my own pizza doughs this year, so thanks so much for the link to the whole wheat recipe! AND – glad to see someone else using parchment with the pizza stone! I thought I was cheating but I found it works much better than cornmeal and makes it so easy to place the pizza on the hot stone! Can’t wait to give this pizza a try!

January 22, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Oh, I’m sure the parchment paper trick is cheating, but sometimes cheating is okay. 🙂 It is so much easier that way!

Carolyn
    January 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

Mmmmm, kale on pizza! Sounds fantastic.

Jackie @ Domestic Fits
    January 22, 2013 at 11:17 am

I think I’m a pizza stone advocate! Makes such a huge difference, even for people that only make homemade pizza once a year.
    And I love the idea of kale and portabellas on pizza, so delicious.

January 22, 2013 at 6:18 pm

It really does make a difference and it’s not much of an investment either. I’ve heard you can also use them for bread, cookies, etc., so I’m going to have to give that a try.

4virtu
    January 22, 2013 at 11:59 am

Happy Tasty Tuesday! We love this recipe and it is featured on our Kale Recipe Round-Up this week! Thanks for sharing!

January 22, 2013 at 6:17 pm

Thanks for featuring my recipe!

marla
    January 22, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Such a beautiful and very tempting pizza recipe 🙂

Julia | JuliasAlbum.com
    January 22, 2013 at 8:17 pm

I love kale, just purchased several bunches, which I will use as a side dish for grilled steak. This pizza with roasted garlic is so appetizing!

Stephanie @ henry happened
    January 22, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Well, now I’m wishing I hadn’t returned the pizza stone I got for our wedding. But I like your cheapo one vs the crazy expensive one we got from Williams Sonoma. And I’m all for pizza, bring it on!

January 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

Yeah, get a cheapo one! They really do make a difference.

Nat - Apple Diaries
    January 22, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Hi Kiersten! Thanks for the great recipe. Simple and only a select few ingredients – true italian style! (well, almost ;)). I love making healthy, Vegetarian pizzas but am usually skeptical about making my own crusts, yet this looks easier than I expected so I can’t wait to try it!

Thanks again.

January 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yes, seriously, if I can make this crust recipe, anyone can. Because I am not a baker. At all! 🙂

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    January 23, 2013 at 12:39 am

Ooo… portabella mushrooms and kale together on pizza sounds so good!

Brenda Williams
    January 23, 2013 at 7:22 pm

This pizza looks YUMMY. I might have added some chopped red bell peppers on mine:)

January 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Red peppers would be great on this!

Jennie @themessybakerblog
    January 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I don’t think there’s any such thing as too much pizza. This looks delicious. Love kale!

Candace
    January 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I love everything about this pizza!

Jeanette
    January 23, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I love everything about this pizza! Great crust and toppings!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    January 24, 2013 at 12:23 am

Yeah for finding an awesome pizza crust! This looks so good! I’m going to pick some kale tomorrow so I can make this.

January 24, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I love whole wheat and multigrain pizza dough – I’ve made my own a couple of times, and even it it doesn’t turn out perfect, I’m still proud that I made it myself! I’ll have to save this idea of the roasted garlic sauce for next time – I didnt realize it was so easy to make with only a couple of ingredients!

January 25, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Yeah, my homemade pizza crusts definitely aren’t as round or as pretty as the store-bought ones, but that gives them character. 🙂

Katie
    January 24, 2013 at 1:19 pm

another one I’m bookmarking. We really need to get a pizza stone. I had one when I lived with an ex-boyfriend and we used it often.

January 25, 2013 at 8:47 pm

I wish I had gotten one sooner. I guess I didn’t realize that they were so cheap!

Courtney Rae Jones
    January 24, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Definitely agree – you can never have too much pizza! Especially yummy pizza such as this! The roasted garlic “sauce” is a fantastic idea!

January 25, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Yeah, I had that sauce idea for a while. I need to figure out other things to do with it. 🙂

Erica @ Abbie and Erica's Coast to Coast Adventures
    January 26, 2013 at 12:49 am

I was just searching for a new veggie pizza idea instead of spinach. This is perfect!

Kelly @ Texas Type A Mom
    January 26, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I need to try out this recipe! I used to buy the premade crusts but they were always so heavy and rather expensive, lately on the rare occasion I make pizza it’s with a packet of crust mix. Freezing the crusts is genius!

January 28, 2013 at 9:29 am

Yeah, this recipe isn’t much harder than using a crust mix. And it’s definitely better than those pre-made crusts!

dorothea
    February 1, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Husband just made this and it was EXCELLENT!!!!

February 2, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I’m glad it turned out well!

Katherine
    March 19, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Do you just use the parchment to slide the pizza onto the stone? Or do you place the parchment on top of the stone? Also, if I want to roast the garlic ahead of time how far ahead of time can I do it, and how should I store it? Thanks!

March 20, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I use the parchment to slide the pizza onto the stone. You can make the roasted garlic a few days in advance (no more than 3-5, I’d say). Pop the cloves out of the skin and place them in a small jar or plastic container then pour enough olive oil over them to cover.

1 2 3