Provolone is a cheese originally from southern Italy, though it is now also produced in the northern regions of Italy. Made from cow’s milk, this semi-hard cheese comes in various shapes and sizes thanks to the plasticity of its dough. Provolone brings a gourmet touch to many dishes.
This Penne with cheese sauce is creamy, tasty, very easy, fast, helps you empty your fridge, and it’s nutritious too!
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Provolone cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups of penne pasta
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, then fry the onion until tender. Stir in the flour. Gradually add the milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is bubbling and thickening. Remove from heat.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted. Add tomato paste and basil. Warm up if necessary, but avoid boiling.
- Mix the sauce with the cooked pasta. Garnish with basil and more grated provolone if desired.