These mummy cupcakes are just the treat to get you in the Halloween spirit! They're a little bit spooky, a little bit sweet, and easy to make with no artistic skills whatsoever.
Isn't Halloween so much fun?
I love all the beautiful Fall colors and the chance to dress up in silly costumes with my friends. But I especially love seeing all the creative Halloween treats people come up with!
And those treats don't always have to include pumpkins — although I love that too. (Check out these pumpkin muffins.)
So here's a simple halloween cupcake recipe to get you in the spooky spirit!
These mummy cupcakes are actually really simple to decorate, and make a great family project. And with those adorable googly eyes, I think they're more cute than scary.
Oh, and if you think these are adorable - make sure you check out these equally cute mummy cakesicles.
Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly Marshmallows
This recipe uses marshmallows to make our adorable little mummy cupcakes. Now, it's important to note that marshmallows are generally not considered vegetarian or vegan friendly.
I won't get into the grossness factor - you can certainly google it.
But if you want to stick to vegetarian-friendly options (like me), make sure you pick up some vegan marshmallows for this cupcake project.
I personally like these vanilla-flavored vegan marshmallows from Dandies!
Let's Make Mummy Cupcakes
First, you're going to make a batch of simple vanilla cupcakes.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Then, mix together you wet ingredients in a bowl: butter, egg whites, milk, and vanilla. Then set that bowl aside and use another bowl to mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Now pull out your trusty electric hand mixer (like this orange one for Halloween) and mix your wet and dry ingredients together to make the cake batter.
Next, spray your cupcake tins with cooking spray so that the cupcakes will come out easier, and pour the batter into the cupcake tins.
If you want to take things up a notch, grab some Halloween-themed cupcake liners.
Bake the cupcakes for 12 to 18 minutes. You'll know they're ready once you stick a knife into a cupcake and it comes out clean.
Then set the cupcakes aside to cool before you decorate them.
Be patient. If you add the toppings before the cupcakes cool, they will melt. Trust me on this.
Next, we'll start to prepare the mummies! After all, these are supposed to be mummy cupcakes, right?
In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the coconut oil and the white candy melts in 30-second intervals.
Then put the melted candy into a sandwich bag and cut off a small corner. Cut your marshmallows in half and draw thin lines of the melted white candy on them. Then stick on two candy eyes.
Or one if it's a cyclops mummy!
Set those aside, and start on the frosting.
Mix together the butter, confectioners sugar, and milk on medium speed and gradually increase to high so the frosting is well mixed. Then place the frosting into a piping bag and frost your cupcakes.
Finally, place your marshmallow mummies on top of the frosting, and your mummy cupcakes are ready for Halloween!
And if you're looking for more spooky Halloween treats for your party, try these equally adorable mummy cake pops, this delicious black forest pavlova, these Halloween cut-out cookies, or this spooky Black Forest Cake.
And if you want to include everyone in the family on your Halloween baking, try out this pumpkin dog treat recipe!
- piping bags
- Halloween cupcake liners
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (butter, egg whites, milk) for the cupcake batter.
- In a separate larger bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the cupcake batter (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt).
- Mix together the dry and wet ingredients to form the cupcake batter. Use an electric mixer to make this easier, if you have one.
- Spray a cupcake tin with cooking spray. Pour batter into cupcake tins. Bake for 12-18 minutes, until a sharp knife inserted into a cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool before decorating.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave candy melts and coconut oil in 30-second intervals
- Place melted candy in a sandwich bag and cut off a small slit in one corner. Put lines of candy melts on the surface of your marshmallow halves and then place two eyes on each one.
- With an electric mixer, mix together butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk on medium speed and gradually increase to high. Once the ingredients are well-combined, place in piping bag and frost each cupcake.
- Place your mummy on each cupcake and enjoy! Happy Halloween!