- 6 c. vegetable broth
- 3 ½ tbsp. butter divided
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil divided
- 2 large shallots chopped
- 2 c. arborio rice
- ¼ c. dry white wine
- 1 lb. thin asparagus see note, tough ends removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- zest and juice from 1 medium lemon
- salt and pepper
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan and then reduce heat to low.
- Add 1 ½ tablespoon of butter and oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add shallots and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir in rice; heat for 1 minute. Add wine and stir until absorbed, about 30 seconds.
- Now it's time for the boring part! Add 1 ½ cups of broth; simmer until absorbed, continuing to stir frequently. Add remaining broth ½ cup at a time as each ½ cup of broth is absorbed. (So add a half cup, stir, wait for it to be absorbed, add another half cup, etc. This will take about 35 minutes.) Add asparagus pieces with the last ½ cup of broth.
- Once all broth has been absorbed, add remaining butter, cheese, parsley, lemon juice and zest. Season with salt and pepper (you probably won't need any salt if your broth has salt in it).
If you can't find thin asparagus, steam it before adding it to the risotto.
Craving more veg-friendly recipes? Shop our collection of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks!