This Instant Pot spaghetti squash is a simple low carb, gluten-free alternative to pasta. And it's so tasty, you won't even miss the noodles. Top it with your favorite sauce, fresh veggies, or dairy-free cheese for a hearty vegan dish that will please all the pasta-lovers out there!
I've always love spaghetti squash, but making it in the oven takes so much time!
So if you're feeling impatient, like I usually am, Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash is the way to go. You can make spaghetti squash in the instant pot in just about 20 minutes - compared to over an hour in the oven.
What is spaghetti squash, you ask?
If you're new to this veggies, you're in for a real treat. Spaghetti Squash is a type of squash with an edible flesh, that when scraped out looks a lot like spaghetti noodles!
It makes a great substitute for traditional noodles when you want a lighter, lower carb option. And of course it's always 100% gluten-free and vegan too!
How to Serve Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash
This recipe is for the spaghetti squash itself. Serving it plain is a lot like serving plain pasta - boring.
So you will want to add your own favorite sauces or toppings to spice things up a bit.
Some of my favorite ways to serve spaghetti squash are:
- Tossed with olive oil and roasted veggies.
- Mixed with feta cheese (or dairy-free cheese), black olives, and sliced tomatoes.
- Topped with my famous vegan mushroom bolognese sauce.
- Served like pasta with a marina or vegan mushroom alfredo sauce.
- Topped with homemade white wine & sun-dried tomato sauce.
- In place of the spaghetti in this Lemon Spaghetti
How to Make Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash!
This instant pot spaghetti squash is so fast and easy to make!
Start with a medium-sized spaghetti squash. Make sure it's not too big to fit in your Instant Pot! I always look for the biggest one that will fit.
Cut the spaghetti squash in half and use a sturdy spoon to scoop out the seeds and membrane from the inside of the squash.
It's just like when you clean out a pumpkin to make a Jack-o-lantern. But I promise the spaghetti squash is a bit easier to clean!
Now, add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot and place the trivet in the pot.
A trivet is just a fancy word for a steam rack. It basically raises the food item up above the water so that the water doesn't surround the food. That way, the food is steamed, rather than cooked by the water.
Make sure you get a trivet that fits your Instant Pot, if your model didn't come with one!
Once your trivet is in place, put your de-seeded spaghetti squash on top.
Then all that's left to do is close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to sealing. Set manual pressure time to 7 minutes. Once your time is up, do a quick pressure release.
Remove your squash from the pot — but be careful because it's going to be hot. You can use two large spoons or some tongs. Just be careful!
Then use a fork to scoop out the Instant Pot spaghetti noodles, so that they look like strings of spaghetti.
If you've never done this before, check out this video. She does a great demo of the scraping part at about 3:10.
Then simply serve the spaghetti squash with your favorite sauces or toppings. Enjoy!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash about 2 pounds
- 1 cup water
- Instant Pot
- Trivet for Instant Pot
- Cut the squash in half. Scoop out the seeds and membranes from inside the squash.
- Add water to the Instant Pot, and place the trivet in the pot. Put the spaghetti squash on top of the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to sealing.
- Set manual pressure time of 7 minutes. Do a quick pressure release.
- Remove the squash from the pot and scoop squash "noodles" out, or eat straight from the squash skin.