I never need an excuse to go to our local French bakery. I might go there to get something for a meal, but I won’t leave without a tarte tatin or eclair. The bakery is owned and operated by a French family, so the food and the accents really make you feel like you’re in Paris and not Wisconsin. (Oh, how I wish I was in Paris and not Wisconsin.)
Anyway! In seeking new and different ways to use pesto, I wanted to do something sandwichy. Yes, it’s a word! Sandwichy! I bought a crusty loaf of sourdough bread from aforementioned bakery, and then yellow squash, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms from the grocery store. I had pesto, Parmesan cheese, and an onion on hand. Because roasting is pretty much my default way of preparing vegetables, I thought I’d marinate the veggies in a pesto and olive oil mixture and then throw them in the oven until they got all caramelized and delicious. If you prefer grilling your vegetables, that would work too, of course–I mean, basically the idea is to cook the vegetables before putting them on the sandwich, you know?
These sandwiches are bound to become a weekend staple in our household. Most Saturdays, we swing by the farmers market to pick up fresh veggies and the bakery is on the way home. And on Saturdays, we’re usually so busy, the last thing we want to do is spend an hour or two preparing dinner. These sandwiches are easy, fresh, and tasty–does it get any better than that?Print
Pesto-Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
Pesto-marinated vegetables are roasted in the oven and then grilled on sourdough bread with Parmesan cheese–super easy and super delicious!
- Prep Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours
- Yield: 5 sandwiches
- 2 tbsp. pesto
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4 in. thick rings
- 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1 large portabella mushroom, sliced into 1/4 in. wide strips
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Whisk together pesto and olive oil in a large baking dish. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Let vegetables marinate for 3-4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place vegetables on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and onions are beginning to brown.
- Heat panini grill to medium-high. Top four slices of bread with 2 tbsp. of cheese and then divide roasted veggies evenly among the bread slices. Top each sandwich with another slice of bread and place sandwiches on panini grill. Grill until cheese has melted and bread is crispy, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich