This homemade granola is the perfect healthy treat for the holiday season. Loaded with flavor from honey, ginger, and lemon - and packed with crunch from almonds, pecans, pepitas, and coconut flakes!
This homemade granola is one of my favorite homemade holiday treats. Really this granola is great all year long, but it's especially nice to have a healthy treat around when I'm surrounded by cookies, cakes, and pies. 😉
This homemade granola is:
- Super healthy!
- Easy to make in minutes.
- A great base granola recipe.
While you're here don't forget to check out our new Vegan Christmas Cookbook. It's packed with all my favorite tried and true recipes for a plant based holiday feast!
This granola recipe is a great base recipe to use for mixing up your own homemade granola creations. Here are the basic ingredients for any homemade granola:
Nuts. I like to use a mix of flaked almonds and pecans for great texture and crunch. You can use any nuts you like - pistachios or cashews are great choices too.
Seeds. Pepitas (toasted pumpkin seeds) are my favorite. Other great options are chia seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, or flax seeds.
Oats. Most store bought granola include oats. I don't include them in mine, because the granola is healthier without them, and I don't miss it at all. But if you prefer, you can add some rolled oats to the mixture.
Extras. Once you have a base mixture of oats (optional), nuts, and seeds. It's all about adding flavor to the mix. I like to use coconut flakes, ginger, lemon, and a little honey (or agave syrup) for sweetness. Dried berries would be a great addition!
Make it crispy. To make your granola nice and crunchy, the secret ingredient is an egg white. You simply beat an egg white and lightly coat the whole granola mixture before baking it. Of course, you can leave this out for a vegan granola.
And there you have it - perfect homemade granola!
If you love this recipe, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
- ½ cup flaked almonds
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup pecan
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup grape seed oil
- ¼ tsp. lemon oil
- 1 egg white optional, but makes a big difference
- Place your rack in the center of the oven, then preheat to 275°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Then add honey and oils.
- A trick to make crunchier granola: beat an egg white and incorporate it by folding it gently into the mixture.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to obtain a uniform color.
- Cool completely before putting in an airtight container.