Who loves quinoa? WE do! It's healthy, easy to cook with, and delicious. And these quinoa cakes? Crazy-versatile. Whip them up as an appetizer, serve them as a side or a snack, even put them on buns and top with some roasted veggies and this cashew cream sauce for an amazing spin on a veggie burger. They do the work!
- 2 ½ cups cooked white quinoa at room temperature
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup finely minced red onion
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ cup bread crumbs since I cook gluten-free, I made my bread crumbs by pulsing an Udi's bagel in the food processor
- Olive oil or clarified butter for coating pan
- In a large bowl combine the quinoa, eggs, and salt; stir to mix well. Add the basil, red onion, cheese, garlic, and breadcrumbs to the bowl; stir, then let the mixture sit for a few minutes so that the bread crumbs can absorb some of the moisture. If your mixture is too wet you can add a little more breadcrumbs at this point and if it is too dry add a small amount of water.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil or clarified butter in a large, heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Form the mixture into 12 small patties; when the oil is hot place enough patties in the skillet so that it is full, but the patties still have room in between them. Cover, and cook for 7-10 minutes, until the bottoms are crisp and deeply browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second side for about 7 minutes more. Remove from the skillet and cool on a wire rack while you cook the remaining patties.
You can serve these Crispy Quinoa Cakes with a number of different sauces; if you're short on time, a good jarred marinara will definitely work, but I love using this Roasted Red Pepper Cashew Cream. If you have leftovers, it makes a tasty veggie dip or sandwich spread!
- Add all of the ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and blend on high, stopping to scrape down the sides if necessary. Blend until the cashew cream is smooth and silky with no chunks. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.