This Creamy Tomato Soup is perfect for starting a meal. This recipe combines tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, and vegetable broth to make a tasty soup. This delicious soup will be appreciated by all guests around the table—omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans. Serve with a side salad or a grilled cheese sandwich to round out the meal. Try pairing this tomato soup with a Butternut Squash Grilled Cheese Sandwich or a Drunken Grilled Cheese Sandwich—or read up on 5 Ways to Upgrade Your Grilled Cheese.
- ½ cup fresh and ripe tomatoes cut into pieces
- 1 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 15% cream
- drizzle of olive oil
- fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 lemon zested
- ⅓ cup small croutons of roasted bread with olive oil
- salt flowers and freshly ground pepper
- Drizzle olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; caramelize.
- Stir in fresh tomato and chopped garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add the diced tomato, with the juice, and stir everything.
- Add vegetable broth and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes over low heat. Finish by adding the cream and adjust the seasoning. Mix together and cook for 5 minutes.
- For the dressing, pour a portion of tomato cream in each of the soup plates, sprinkle with croutons, freshly chopped basil leaves, and lemon zest. Finish with a light drizzle of olive oil and a few grains of fleur de sel.