Whip up these vegan Chipotle Sofritas for dinner tonight! Skip the takeout from Chipotle and learn how to make your favorite dish at home. These yummy sofritas are made with firm tofu, onion, pepper, Tex-Mex seasonings, and more.
Use these Sofritas for your tacos, rice bowls, and more. This vegan Sofritas recipe is versatile in how to serve and so easy to whip up.
This Chipotle Sofritas recipe is...
- Made with tofu
- Quick and easy
- Great for meal prepping
- Chipotle copycat recipe
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
How to Make Chipotle Sofritas
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add the diced tofu and cook.
- While tofu is cooking, blend remaining ingredients together in food processor.
- Mix sauce to your desired consistency.
- Stir the sauce into the tofu, then simmer for 10 minutes to soak in the flavors.
- Serve with rice and enjoy.
Full directions for how to make Chipotle Sofritas are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Tips & Tricks for Chipotle Sofritas
It's important to remove as much liquid as you can from the tofu before you begin. You will want to press the tofu to squeeze out the liquid. If your tofu is too wet, it will not cook up the right way.
Heavy Duty Pan
Make sure to use a heavy duty pan for cooking. This will give an even cook to the food, giving you the best flavor. Lesser quality pans can undercook your food in some areas and have hot spots in others, giving your dish an uneven texture.
Size of Tofu
You can chop your tofu nice and small, crumble, or shred it—the choice is yours! But the goal is to ensure that you have smaller pieces so your tofu blends really well with the sauce.
Variations to Chipotle Sofritas
If you like your sofritas spicy, then go right ahead and add more adobo sauce. The sofritas sauce alone is pretty spicy, and adding a little extra adobo will really ramp up the spice!
Don't add the maple syrup if you don't want a hint of sweet in your tofu sofritas. You will find that this dish is a lot more savory without the syrup.
Stir in Items
You can make this dish even heartier by stirring in some black beans or corn once you are done cooking. This will help the sofritas stretch even farther!
Chipotle Sofritas FAQs
What are Sofritas?
Sofritas are a meat free substitute that is served at Chipotle. The base is made of tofu and a mix of chipotle peppers, spices, and more. This is a great Tex-Mex flavored protein option without any meat.
How should I store leftovers?
You can store your leftover sofritas in an airtight container in the fridge for 4–5 days. Sofritas make for a great leftover that you can use to meal prep for the week.
What should I eat Sofritas with?
Place your Chipotle Sofritas on top of rice, wrapped in a tortilla as a burrito, paired with a taco shell, make into nachos, etc. The options for serving this tofu based dish are endless!
If you're on your way to a more plant based lifestyle, be sure to check out our Veggie Kickstart Kit. It's packed with easy and tasty vegetarian dinners, effortless packable lunches, and easy grab-and-go breakfasts. And they’re so good - you’ll never miss the meat again!
- 1 pkg extra firm tofu cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup salsa
- 1 small onion peeled and halved
- 1 green pepper halved and seeded
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 chipotle chili minced, or more to taste
- 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high.
- Then add tofu and brown on all sides, using a wooden spoon to crumble it into smaller pieces as in cooks (about 5–6 minutes).
- While tofu is cooking, add the vegetable broth, salsa, onion, green pepper, lime juice, chipotle chilis, adobo sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and pepper to a blender or food processor
- Blend until desired consistency. (I like mine with just a little bit of texture but you can get it smooth if you keep blending.)
- Once the tofu has browned, add the sauce.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with rice if desired.