Kale is sautéed until nice and tender with onion, garlic and vegetable broth, which all help to infuse it with plenty of flavor. Mix with cooked quinoa, lemon zest, cannellini beans and Greek yogurt, and bake in the oven with plenty of mild cheddar cheese!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bunch lacinato kale about 9 to 10 ounces, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa cooked according to package directions
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese divided
- Salt and red pepper flakes to taste
- ¼ cup raw walnut halves chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease a 2 to 3 quart baking dish with olive oil spray and set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet set over medium heat. When hot, add in the onion and cook until tender and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the kale and vegetable broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 6 to 8 minutes, until the kale has wilted down and the broth has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
- Add the vegetable mixture to a large bowl, along with the quinoa, lemon zest, cannellini beans, Greek yogurt and 1 cup of the cheddar. Mix until well combined. Season with salt and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar cheese and the walnuts.
- Bake for about 10 to 13 minutes, until heated through and the cheese is melted.