Entrees/ Recipes/ Snacks/ vegetarian recipes

Cauliflower Crust Lemon Gremolata Pizza

Lemon Gremolata Pizza with Cauliflower Crust Recipe

Lemon Gremolata Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
I am so tardy to the cauliflower crust pizza party. I’ve been reading about this magical pizza crust for years, but until a few weeks ago, I had never tried it myself. So I sought out the original cauliflower pizza crust recipe and gave it a go.

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
It looks almost like a giant omelet, right? Chris and I both liked the crust, but in a different way than we were expecting to like it. I guess I thought the cauliflower would transform into something more bread-like after baking. It does not. It’s a lot flatter and thinner than a traditional crust, although you can pick it up and it stays together.

(Oh, and sorry, I’m not republishing the crust recipe here. You’re going to have to go to Your Lighter Side for that. People seem to have taken this blogger’s recipe and completely removed her blog as the source and as a fellow food blogger, this bugs me immensely!)

And then since I was already feeling adventurous with my fancy new pizza crust, I thought I’d try topping my pizza with lemons. Yes, lemons! I had seen it done a few times and my first reaction was revulsion. Lemons on pizza? That is wrong. But I love lemons and the idea kind of stuck in my head. Could lemons really work as a pizza topping?

Lemon Gremolata Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
Well, the secret is to slice them really thin–almost shaved. That way, you still get the tartness of the lemon without it completely distracting from the rest of the pizza (or being tough to bite through). I wouldn’t use it on a pizza made with tomato sauce; this particular pizza was inspired by gremolata, which is a combination of parsley, garlic, and lemon. I used the parsley and garlic combo instead of a sauce, added some parmesan cheese, and then topped the whole thing with the thinly sliced lemons. So tasty! Lemon is now up there with pineapple and green olives on my favorite pizza topping list.

If you don’t have the time or desire to make a cauliflower crust, this would work on any thin pizza crust, store-bought or homemade. But if you haven’t tried the cauliflower crust yet, you really should (whether or not you top it with lemons).

This post was originally published on April 25, 2013.

Lemon Gremolata Pizza with Cauliflower Crust

Lemon Gremolata Pizza with Cauliflower Crust Recipe

A cauliflower crust makes the perfect base for this gremolata-inspired pizza.

• Yield: 4-6 servings

• 1 prepared pizza crust (I used a cauliflower crust, omitting the fennel seeds)
  • 1/3 c. chopped parsley
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 c. shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1 small lemon, thinly sliced (use a mandoline slicer, if you have one)

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine parsley, garlic, and olive oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle mixture onto pizza crust, leaving a 1-inch margin around the edge. Top with cheese and lemon slices. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until cheese has melted and lemons have softened.

Sue/the view from great island
    April 26, 2013 at 11:29 am

The only thing I don’t like about pizza is a big heavy crust, this looks perfect! I made a lemon topped focaccia the other day which was fantastic, so I know I would love those lemon slices.

April 29, 2013 at 10:44 am

I actually DO like traditional, dough-y pizza crust, but I loved this cauliflower crust too! ๐Ÿ™‚

April 26, 2013 at 11:45 am

I’ve never seen a cauliflower crust come out so perfectly! I may just have to try this one! Looks fantastic and delicious =)

Lauren
    April 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

Yum! I’ve tried a few variations of this crust, but never found that it held up very well under toppings. Do you find this one to be pretty sturdy? Your pictures look awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚

April 29, 2013 at 10:42 am

This one was really sturdy–much sturdier than expected! It held up to me moving the slices around for photos and we picked it up and ate it with no problem.

Sarah @ Play 2 Learn with Sarah
    April 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I’ve never heard of cauliflower crust. I’m going to have to try it. Not sure I could do lemons though!

Meg
    April 26, 2013 at 3:27 pm

I made this last night and it was awesome!! I swapped out parsley for lemon basil, and added thinly sliced zucchini and fresh jalapenos as well. I also added some dried oregano and good pinch of black pepper to the crust mixture and baked it on a thin layer of cornmeal. The lemons on top were aMAZing! ๐Ÿ™‚

April 29, 2013 at 10:39 am

I am growing lemon basil in my garden this year (well, if the seeds ever sprout!), so I’m going to have to try that too. And I love the idea of adding zucchini on top. Thanks for the comment! ๐Ÿ™‚

Stephanie @ henry happened
    April 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

I’ve wanted to try that cauliflower crust too – I hate to be tardy to the party! So thanks for finding the original source. You are brave with lemons!

April 29, 2013 at 10:32 am

It is good! And pretty kid-friendly too, I think. It doesn’t taste like cauliflower!

Kathy
    April 27, 2013 at 8:37 pm

That looks amazing. So you keep the lemon rind on the lemons?

April 29, 2013 at 10:29 am

Yes, you keep it on! ๐Ÿ™‚ Since they’re sliced really thin, it’s not like chewing on a big piece of lemon rind. Which definitely wouldn’t be very appetizing.

Lisa @ Greek Vegetarian
    April 27, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Absolutely perfectly yum. Cauliflower pizza crust โ€“ what a ridiculously original idea! I love the lemon slices โ€“ I’d imagine would be deadly delicious with parmesan. And thanks for introducing me to yet another great blog!

April 29, 2013 at 10:27 am

I know! I would never, ever, ever think to use cauliflower as a pizza crust. That blogger is a genius! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rachel
    April 28, 2013 at 10:28 am

I keep wondering about cauliflower pizza crust. I wonder if I could make it and not tell my family..

April 29, 2013 at 10:13 am

You probably could! They’d know it’s not a regular crust, but I bet they wouldn’t think it’s made out of cauliflower either…

Michelle Ritchie | Delicious Karma
    April 28, 2013 at 2:59 pm

WOW does this look good! And sound good. I am definitely going to have to make this!!!! This one definitely makes it onto our Pinterest! http://pinterest.com/deliciouskarma/flatbreads-pizza

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum
    April 29, 2013 at 5:24 am

This looks incredible. I love cauliflower crust!

Heather @ HeatherOMade
    April 29, 2013 at 1:21 pm

i’m intrigued. this has made me want to give the cauliflower crust thing another shot. and lemons. i love lemons. thanks for the inspiration.

May 1, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I heard from a lot of people saying they tired other cauliflower crust recipes and they didn’t work out. Definitely try this one next time. It was perfect! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brenda Williams
    April 29, 2013 at 2:51 pm

This may be my favorite recipe so far….LOL….all your recipes are my favorite so far, because you come up with the most creative ways to prepare meals. My niece saw this on on facebook and thought it was the bomb!

Kelly @ A Girl Worth Saving
    April 29, 2013 at 4:56 pm

I just overdosed on cream so something sharp and tangy sounds just yum. I’ll have to give her crust a try. You are spot on about it not being very bread-like but still filling and a good homage to a traditional pizza crust.

Bernadette @ Now Stir It Up
    April 29, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I love the non traditional pizza toppings. I need to try the thinly sliced lemon.

May 1, 2013 at 11:19 am

I love this idea! I’ve been intrigued about lemon slices as a pizza topping but I wasn’t sure how it would turn out or the best way to go about it…so this is definitely helpful, I’ll have to give it a try! There’s nothing wrong with tomato sauce pizzas, but I like trying out unique combinations of sauce and toppings like this one. Your cauliflower crust looks so good too – thats another thing I havent tried yet because I typically avoid eggs, but I’ve seen a couple of vegan versions that I might try out…

May 1, 2013 at 8:21 pm

I make pizza all the time and I rarely put tomato sauce on it! There are way too many other possibilities out there. ๐Ÿ™‚ If you try a vegan cauliflower crust recipe, let me know! I tried coming up with my own and it didn’t work out so well.

May 2, 2013 at 12:51 am

I’m fascinated… I’ve never heard of a cauliflower pizza crust! It looks really good.

May 3, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Really?! I feel like they have been all over the place lately. I thought I was the last one to try it. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sheila
    May 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Damn girl.. You have the most creative food mind!! Love it. I am making this for sure.

Karen of 3G2S
    June 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm

My children would totally eat this and I probably wouldn’t need to tell them what the crust was made out of. ๐Ÿ˜›

Tara
    June 12, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Has anyone tried freezing this type of pizza? I wonder if it’s possible to make and then freeze individual servings. I prepare a lot of meals for my disabled sister and this looks like something she would enjoy.

June 13, 2013 at 7:28 am

You might want to try asking this on Your Lighter Side. She has much more experience working with this crust than I do!

Weddy
    August 9, 2013 at 2:02 am

Made it as a flat bread and loved it, only gave it one further tweek… I lightly sugared the lemons to remove some of the tartness

August 11, 2013 at 7:43 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Jen-Eighty MPH Mom
    October 15, 2013 at 11:50 am

This looks really good – and I don’t even like cauliflower!

October 16, 2013 at 1:58 pm

You don’t really taste the cauliflower! It doesn’t taste like pizza crust, but it doesn’t taste like cauliflower either. ๐Ÿ™‚

Pam @Mommacan
    February 1, 2014 at 10:52 am

Have mercy! That looks so good.

Lynsey
    August 22, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Saw this post and had to make it. So delicious! Thanks for the great recipe! Would NEVER think to use lemons!

Kiersten Frase
      August 27, 2014 at 5:41 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe! A lot of people are skeptical of the lemons on a pizza thing, but it totally works. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anna