This Beans and Walnuts Vegan Meatloaf takes a classic comfort recipe and makes it into a meatless dish that everyone will love. Changing the meat for beans and walnuts makes this “meat”loaf vegetarian- and vegan-friendly as well as lower calorie!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup white beans cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp tamari
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp oregano
- ½ tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute. Remove from heat and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the chickpeas and white beans in a food processor for a few seconds until they achieve a coarse texture. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Coarsely grind the walnuts in the food processor until they achieve a coarse texture. Transfer to the large bowl with bean mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix well.
- Place the mixture in a bread pan.
- In a small bowl, mix sauce ingredients and then pour evenly over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.