The first time I had lychee, I ordered it on a whim from a Thai restaurant. This was back when my husband and I were first dating–I had never had Thai food and I think I was trying to impress him by ordering something neither of us had heard of before. But wow, was I glad I ordered it–it was so sweet and fragrant, almost like candy. Lychee is now one of my favorite flavors, but unfortunately, it’s rare outside of Asian markets and restaurants.
I had an extra lime from another recipe this week, so I used the juice from that in the popsicles too. And since my basil plants seem to be growing several inches a day, I made a basil-flavored syrup to mix in as well. These turned out exactly like I thought they would–a perfect mix of sweetness from the lychees and the tartness of lime juice, with a hint of fresh basil.Print
Basil-Infused Lychee Lime Ice Pops
Lychee, basil, and lime? Yes! They go together perfectly in these popsicles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4-5 pops (depending on the size of your molds)
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1-20 oz. can of lychees, drained
- juice & zest from one lime
- Combine water, sugar, and basil leaves in small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour basil syrup through sieve into blender or food processor. Discard basil. Add lychees, lime juice, and zest and blend until smooth. Pour fruit mixture into popsicle molds. Freeze until solid.