On Friday, our cat Miso was acting strange. He’s a pretty neurotic guy, so we didn’t think much of it, but soon it became apparent that something was terribly wrong. His eyes were glassy and he was crouched low to the ground, howling and crying. We brought him to the vet and found out that he had a urinary obstruction. He’s on several different medications and doing better, but we have to keep a close eye on him to make sure he continues to improve, so leaving him for 5 days didn’t seem like the best idea.
So no holiday baking. But I still wanted to post something today, and then I got the idea of doing a Cranberry Orange Spritzer. I mean, not only are cranberries holiday appropriate, but they’re also good for urinary health, right? Perfect! If there were such a thing as cranberry Orangina, this would taste just like it–it’s very orange-y, but with a tart kick from the cranberries.
Anyway, for those of you who celebrate, I hope you have a Merry Christmas!
Edited to Add: I can’t believe I’m having to write this, but NO, I am not implying that this drink should be given to cats with urinary problems. Don’t make this drink for your cat.
A festive non-alcoholic drink for the holidays made with fresh cranberries, orange juice, and sparkling water.
- 1 c. fresh cranberries
- 2 c. freshly-squeezed orange juice (about 5 large oranges)
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 two-inch piece ginger, peeled and sliced into thick coins (optional)
- 2 c. sparkling water, chilled (or more if you like it less sweet)
- Combine cranberries, orange juice, sugar, and ginger in a medium pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Continue to boil until cranberries begin to pop. Once cranberries have popped open and softened, use the back of a wooden spoon to smash them against the side of the pan. Remove from heat and cool.
- Strain cooled cranberry mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve. Discard solids and refrigerate juice until chilled, about an hour. Transfer juice to pitcher and stir in sparkling water. Serve with cranberries or orange slices as garnish, if desired.
Total time doesn't include time needed to chill cranberry mixture.