This Vodka Pasta Sauce recipe will blow your mind!
This quick and easy vodka pasta sauce is packed with flavor and ready in just 15 minutes! It's a simple way to spice up your next bowl of pasta. It's so crazy easy to throw together and packed with loads of homemade flavor.
As a born and raised Italian, there's not much I love more than a giant bowl of pasta. Seriously - I could eat pasta every day.
But topping it with the same marinara sauce (no matter how delicious), can boring pretty fast.
So what could help spice things up a bit? Well - vodka of course!
This simple vodka pasta sauce recipe will take your next bowl of pasta up several notches.
This homemade vodka pasta sauce is:
- Rich and creamy.
- Loaded with fresh flavor!
- 100% vegetarian friendly.
- Ready in under 20 minutes.
While you're here, be sure to grab our FREE 5-Day Meatless Meal Plan. It's packed with tasty recipes to make vegetarian cooking easy and delicious!
Tips & Tricks
I used plain canned tomato sauce (like this kind) for this recipe. Some brands also make them pre-seasoned with herbs or chilis, and those also work great. Just be sure you are using a pureed tomato sauce, not chunky canned tomatoes, to get a creamy consistency.
Feel free to make your own variation by adding your favorite herbs and spices. Italian herbs such as oregano and basil are great additions, or add some crushed red pepper for spice.
For the vodka, be sure to use a decent brand. Just like with wine - if you wouldn't drink it, you shouldn't cook with it either!
Make it vegan by swapping the heavy cream for canned coconut milk instead. It will have a different flavor, but is every bit as delicious.
If you love this vodka sauce, here are some more delicious ideas to check out:
- 18+ Vegetarian One Pot Pasta Recipes
- 20-Minute Pasta Recipes for Busy Weeknights
- 24+ Perfect Pasta Salads
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 shallots chopped
- ⅓ cup vodka
- 14 oz tomato sauce canned
- 1 cup heavy cream or cooking cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- parmesan grated, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted, boiling water, cook the pasta as directed on the package. Drain, but reserve 80 ml (⅓ cup) of cooking water. Set pasta and cooking water aside.
- Heat oil to medium heat in a large pan. Sauté garlic and shallots in oiled pan for 1 to 2 minutes. Deglaze and flambé with vodka, then let reduce 2–3 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce to the garlic and shallots. Let reduce a few minutes, then add the cream and oil.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Add the pasta and mix well with the sauce.
- Divide in plates, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and serve.
Emily Zielinski says
Yum, Vodka Pasta is one of my favourite go to recipes. I cant wait to try yours
Nehal Preet says
Hey , I have tried this Vodka Pasta sauce at home looks exact same but don't know why the taste is lil bitter. May be it's because of the vodka or something else. Still figuring out. Rest it was really good and unique recipe. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Regards.