These vegan thumbprint cookies are so simple and fun to make in just 20 minutes! Soft, chewy cookies are adorned with a delicious chocolate center. Serve with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream for the ultimate deliciousness!
If I could only have one sweet treat for the rest of my life, it would be a tie between brownies and cookies. I’m a chocolate lover through and through, for sure.
So today, we're talking about my favorite chocolate cookies - these vegan thumbprint cookies!
If you’re like me and prefer your cookies on the chewier side, you’re gonna love these . They are incredibly soft and taste their best fresh from the oven or reheated in the microwave.
Seriously, you’ll feel like you’re eating bakery cookies!
Plus, you only need around 20 minutes in total to make these. So, no waiting around for when those ‘I’ve just eaten dinner but want something sweet’ cravings hit. Trust me, we’ve all been there.
These vegan thumbprint cookies are:
- Super easy to make.
- Perfect as a snack or a dessert.
- Ideal for beginners.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Now, I wouldn’t recommend changing any of these ingredients because the final result will differ. But if you do change something and it turns out good, do let me and other readers know in the comments!
- Brown rice flour.
- Buckwheat flour. Don’t worry, this won’t make the cookies taste like buckwheat at all!
- Coconut sugar.
- Baking powder.
- Baking soda.
- Apple cider vinegar.
- Flax egg.
- Vanilla extract.
- Coconut oil.
- Plant based milk of your choice.
- Chocolate chips or chocolate buttons (for the center!)
How to Make Thumbprint Cookies
It’s incredibly simple!
First, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 F.
Next, combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: apple cider vinegar, flax egg, vanilla extract and coconut oil.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until a crumbly mixture forms. Then, add the plant based milk and continue mixing to form a dough, using your hands if necessary.
Using around 2 tbsp dough per cookie, roll the dough into balls and press them down slightly on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
Then add a large chocolate button (or big chocolate chip) in the middle of each cookie.
Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, leaving to cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
More Vegan Desserts
If you love these vegan thumbprint cookies, be sure to take a look at these other delicious recipes:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax seeds + 2 tbsp water, set aside left 10 minutes
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- ¼ cup plant based milk
- 8 large vegan chocolate buttons or ⅓ cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: brown rice flour, buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients: apple cider vinegar, flax egg, vanilla extract and coconut oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together until a crumbly mixture forms. Then, add the plant based milk and continue mixing to form a dough, using your hands if necessary.
- Using around 2 tbsp dough per cookie, roll the dough into balls and press them down slightly on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. If you want to, you can add chocolate chips to the dough, but I added a large chocolate button in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown, and leave to cool for around 5-10 minutes before eating.