Bright orange flavors pair with warming spices and chocolate for a hearty, healthy vegan muffin you have to taste to believe! If you decide to use non-dairy milk instead of orange juice, try 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder, and skip the soda altogether.Print
Orange Spice Chocolate Chip Muffins
These vegan orange spice muffins are made with a base of oat flour and almond butter, and studded with dark chocolate chips.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (or light brown sugar), plus more for topping
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice
- 1/3 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a 12 cup muffin tin with papers.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, orange zest and salt.
- In a separate bowl or in a large liquid measuring cup, stir together the orange juice, almond butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. Stir until the almond butter is fully incorporated into the mixture, and then pour everything into the bowl with the oat flour. Stir just until everything is fully blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among muffin cups (they will be very full), and sprinkle each of the tops with a pinch of sugar.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, until the tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before removing the muffins from the tins.
You can make your own oat flour by processing rolled oats in a food processor until a fine powder is formed.