Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (from about 1 large orange)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (from about 1 large carrot)
- 1/2 cup peeled and grated apple (from about 1 medium apple)
- 1/2 cup raisins (golden or regular)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9x9 inch baking dish with oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large heat-proof bowl, mix together the steel-cut oats and boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Add the rolled oats, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to the large bowl and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl or large liquid measuring cup, whisk together the egg, milk, maple syrup, vanilla and orange zest. Pour the mixture into the large bowl and mix again until combined. Mix in the carrot, apple, raisins and coconut.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until set and golden brown.