With January in full swing, the cold and dreary days of winter have officially settled in. My body is constantly craving foods that are comforting and warming, yet at the same time I want dishes that are a bit on the lighter side after indulging in holiday treats.
Which is where this miso veggie noodle soup comes into play. It’s naturally low in calories, but still hearty enough to fill you up. The soup is packed with plenty of veggies, like carrots, mushrooms and broccoli, along with slurpable noodles to add just a bit more bulk. There’s some garlic and ginger to boost the flavor, and an easy broth made with just two ingredients: water and miso paste.
It’s simple, nourishing and soothing – perfect for when you are feeling run down or trying to fight off a dreaded winter cold!
These days you can find miso paste in many mainstream grocery stores (often in tubs in the refrigerated section). But if your local store doesn’t carry it, you can try ordering online or checking out an asian market. I like to use white miso paste in this recipe, but you can also use red, which has a slightly stronger flavor.
As far as the pasta, go with whatever you prefer. I decided to use udon noodles, but both soba and brown rice would be excellent here as well. Additionally, feel free to experiment with the amount of noodles in your soup. I personally like to use about four ounces of noodles so they are more of an accent, but adjust to your own taste!Print
Miso Veggie Noodle Soup
This light yet hearty miso veggie soup filled with carrots, mushrooms, broccoli and udon noodles.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups bite-sized broccoli florets
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, grated
- 5 ½ cups water
- 5 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1 (5 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 to 8 ounces udon noodles, cooked according to package directions, drained and rinsed well
- Lime wedges and red pepper flakes, for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large stockpot set over medium heat. When hot, add in the onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add in the carrots, mushrooms and broccoli, and cook for another 3 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Pour in the water and bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue to simmer, adjusting the heat as needed, for about 8 to 10 minutes, until the veggies are all tender.
- Carefully ladle ½ cup of the liquid into a small bowl. Whisk in the miso paste until combined. Add the miso mixture, in addition to the spinach, back to the pot. Turn the heat to low and continue to cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently, until the spinach is wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the cooked noodles among four bowls. Ladle an equal amount of the soup into each of the bowls. Serve with lime wedges and red pepper flakes, if desired.