This Grilled Halloumi and Vegetables is a simple and delicious vegetarian grilling recipe. The smoky grilled halloumi pairs perfectly with the savory roasted veggies, all served up on a bed of fresh salad greens. Yum!
If you've never tasted grilled halloumi cheese, you are really missing out. It is absolutely delicious. The flavor remains fresh and delicate with a perfectly crispy edge.
Even served alone - it’s amazing! When combined with this simple grilled vegetable salad, it turns into a complete vegetarian meal. And it only takes a few minutes to make!
This has quickly become one of my favorite easy vegetarian grilling recipes.
What is halloumi?
Halloumi is an off-white cheese, made from a mixture of goat's and sheep's milk. It generally comes in a rectangular shape and is characterized by a big fold in the center.
Originally from Cyprus, halloumi has a firm texture, even when it's cooked. It is very unique, and is one of the only cheeses that stands up to being grilled!
Yep, gives a whole new meaning to "grilled cheese". And once you've tasted this, you won't be able to get enough of it!
Tips & Tricks
I suggest using a grilling basket (I use this one) for the veggies, so they don't slip through the grates of your grill. This makes life so much easier!
The halloumi cheese can be placed directly on the grill grates. You will want to keep a close eye on it while it cooks. While halloumi keeps it's firm texture when cooked, it still can be melted. So don't overdo it. The halloumi is done when grill marks appear and it's slightly springy to the touch.
You can swap the veggies for any of your own favorites, or use what is in season near you. I used peppers, mushrooms, and onions in this recipe. But this would also be great with zucchini or eggplant. Yum!
Try the grilled halloumi atop any of these other amazing summer salad recipes for a completely new dish!
More Halloumi Recipes
If you love this grilled halloumi, be sure to check out these other tasty recipes:
- Fried Halloumi Sticks
- Grilled Halloumi and Veggies in Foil Packets
- Veggie Kabobs with Polenta and Halloumi
- Chermoula Veggie & Halloumi Kebabs
- 8 oz halloumi cheese cut into ½" thick slices
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup white mushroom sliced
- 1 onion peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning or herbs of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar plus extra for serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups salad greens for serving
- Heat the grill.
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the veggies with garlic, Italian Seasoning, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Using a grill basket or similar device, grill the veggies until softened and lightly charred. Stir often to keep from burning. This should take about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Grill the halloumi slices for 2-3 minutes on each side, until grill marks appear. The texture should be slightly soft to the touch, but not runny.
- Serve the grilled halloumi and veggies over the fresh salad greens. Sprinkle with additional olive oil and balsamic vinegar for serving, if desired.