If I had to pick one season throughout the year to call my favorite it would have to be summer. Pool parties, picnics, long days at the beach. Feeling the warm sunshine on my face, dipping my head underwater and then snacking on cold fruit as the water drips from my skin. Summertime is the best.
The seasonal fresh fruit definitely plays a big role in my love for the season. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, watermelon, peaches, grapes, and pineapple. They’re all delicious on their own, but sometimes it’s fun to find creative ways to serve them when you’re entertaining for guests. These fruit kebabs are the perfect solution.
By simply arranging them on bamboo skewers and pairing with a creamy chocolate dipping sauce that takes all of 10 minutes to make, you’ll have everyone thinking you’re a skilled host.
The dipping sauce is made from a simple combination of raw cashews, cocoa powder, pure maple syrup, vanilla, non-dairy milk and a touch of sea salt. Blending them together creates a luxurious chocolate cream that you will have to resist devouring before the guests arrive.
I went with a combo of my favorite fruits (strawberries, pineapple, grapes and blueberries), but feel free to use whatever varieties you prefer. You could even add little pieces of vanilla cake to the skewers if you’re feeling naughty, but the fruit on it’s own is plenty sweet and satisfying.
Overall the kebabs take less than 20 minutes to make and hold up well for several hours if you’d like to prep them in advance. They’re the perfect refreshing treat for a warm summer day!
Fruit Kebabs with Chocolate Cream Dip
These fruit kebabs are served up with a creamy cashew-based chocolate dip and are a perfect healthy sweet for summer gatherings.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
For the chocolate cream dip:
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked*
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
For the fruit kebabs:
- 6-8 wooden skewers
- 8 ounces fresh pineapple chunks
- 1 pint strawberries
- 8 ounces green grapes
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- To make the chocolate cream dip, drain and rinse the cashews, and then place them into a high speed blender (or NutriBullet) with the cocoa powder, maple syrup, milk, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Blend on high until thick and creamy. Add more milk (one tablespoon at a time) as needed to thin. Add more syrup as desired to sweeten. Transfer the chocolate cream to a bowl and refrigerate while you assemble the kebabs.
- To make the kebabs, thread 1 pineapple chunk, 1 strawberry, 1 grape and 1 blueberry onto each skewer. Repeat this step until each skewer is full. Serve chilled with chocolate dip.
*Soak cashews in a large bowl covered with several inches of water for at least 6 hours or up to overnight. For a faster option, bring a pot of water to a boil, remove from the heat then add the cashews and allow to soak for 30 minutes.