Besides the bread, everything is fresh in this Italian salad! Prepare this recipe using country bread or ciabatta bread from the day before. If your bread is too fresh, you can grill it a little bit so that it’s as dry and crisp as a crouton.
- 2 tomatoes cut into small pieces
- 1 cucumber cut into small pieces
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 1 cup mini fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 lb good country bread or ciabatta bread
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- In a bowl, mix tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, mozzarella, garlic, and basil. Let stand at room temperature so the juice from the raw vegetables comes out, at least 5–10 minutes. Salt to taste.
- Cut bread into small pieces. Place in the bowl and mix.
- Add olive oil and balsamic vinegar, mixing again before serving.