This recipe for Delicious Three-Cheese Stuffed Shells may seem a little elaborate, but you can easily double the recipe and make another dish that you can freeze for future use. You can also make the cheese preparation ahead of time, reserve it in the fridge, and use it to stuff shells in the future. The shells are easier to serve than lasagna (since they come apart) making this recipe ideal for a shared supper or buffet.
Both children and adults will love these three-cheeses stuffed shells!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan of boiling salted water cook shells al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile heat marinara sauce over low-medium heat.
- In a bowl mix the ricotta with 1 ½ cups mozzarella, parmesan, egg, and basil. Salt and pepper. Stuff the shells with the cheese preparation.
- Pour two-thirds of the marinara sauce into a 13 x 9" baking dish. Place the stuffed shells in the dish. Cover with remaining sauce and the rest of the mozzarella. Cover the dish with a sheet of aluminum foil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Set the oven to the "broil" position. Remove the sheet of aluminum foil from the dish and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes until the cheese is golden brown.