Creamy Mushroom and Roasted Garlic Soup
For the roasted garlic:
- 1 medium head garlic
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and pepper
For the soup:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 cup 2% or whole milk
Roast the garlic:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the top end off the head of garlic, so that the bulb remains intact and the cloves are exposed. Remove any of the papery outer loose layers of skin. Place the bulb on a piece of aluminum foil, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Wrap the garlic in the foil then bake until tender and the cloves are golden brown, about 50 minutes. Once the bulb is cool enough to handle, squeeze the cloves out of the peel, then use a fork to mash the soft cloves into a paste.
Make the soup:
- Add the olive oil to a large stockpot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and cook until it starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add all the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and the mushrooms have released most of their juices, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the red wine, stirring the entire time. Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the wine has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, salt, pepper, thyme and the mashed roasted garlic. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer. Decrease the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer gently, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in the milk. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed before serving.