As much as I enjoy going out for sushi, it's not something I ever attempt to make at home. I suppose if I put the time in I could perfect my sushi making skills, but sushi bowls are much more my speed. You get the same exact delicious flavors of rolled sushi without all the work!
Now, let's talk cauliflower rice. Have you ever made it before? If you're not familiar with it, cauliflower "rice" is made by blending up your cauliflower until it's broken down and rice-like, and then sautéing it up to make it tender.
Cauilflower rice is such a great healthy low-carb option that you can use instead of regular rice in pretty much any recipe you would normally use rice in. It doesn't have too strong of a flavor, so it really works with whatever you put it with.
These cauliflower rice sushi bowls are pretty much all plant-based, making them a great healthy dinner option. The tofu gives them enough protein to make them a filling meal, but doesn't make them too heavy. And since we used cauliflower rice instead of regular rice, they're a great lunch option that won't leave you feeling sleepy the rest of the day.
During the summer I'm always looking for fresh and flavorful meals that don't require much cooking, and these sushi bowls have been on a regular rotation in the house lately. I hope you enjoy them too!
For the dressing:
For the sushi bowls:
- 1 large head cauliflower cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 6 oz package baked tofu, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber spiralized or thinly sliced
- 2 small beets spiralized or grated
- 2 medium avocados sliced
- 1 cup chopped nori
- Start by making the dressing. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until combined.
- Next make the sushi bowls. Place the cauliflower chunks into a food processor and blend until finely chopped and rice like, about 1 minute. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the cauliflower. Cook until the cauliflower is softened, 5-7 minutes, flipping occasionally with a spatula.
- To prepare the sushi bowls, divide the cauliflower rice equally into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with equal portions of tofu, beets, cucumber, avocado and nori. Top with desired amount of dressing. Serve.