I am one of those people who could never skip breakfast. Aside from the fact that I wake up hungry, my entire day just feels off if I don’t eat something in the morning. During the workweek, I rely on dishes that are super quick, like overnight oats or smoothies or toast with almond butter. But on the weekend? It’s time to shake things up!
And what better way to do just that than with tacos for breakfast! Colorful, fun, and oh-so-satisfying, I am fully convinced that they can brighten just about any day. And along with a steaming mug of coffee or tea? It’s the perfect way to start the weekend on a fantastic note.
While a lot of breakfast tacos can be pretty heavy and greasy, today’s recipe is nice and light, and is packed with plenty of greens and veggies. Some onion and red bell pepper are sautéed in a skillet, along with a good amount of fresh kale. The veggie mixture is piled onto a tortilla with some simple scrambled eggs and a few garnishes, like creamy avocado and flavorful salsa verde. They are healthy and filling, yet also won’t leave you feeling completely weighed down.
While the recipe is written to serve about two to three people, you can easily double (or triple!) the amounts depending on your needs. They are also very customizable—you can play around with the toppings or the quantities of the ingredients based on your taste.
And let’s be real—these tacos do not need to be limited to breakfast! They make for an easy quick lunch, or, my personal favorite, breakfast for dinner.
Breakfast Tacos with Scrambled Eggs & Kale
These quick and easy breakfast tacos are filled with sautéed bell pepper, kale, scrambled eggs, and creamy avocado!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings 1x
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 of a small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 4 to 4 1/2 ounces kale, stemmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 large eggs, beaten with a fork
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- About 6 small tortillas of choice
- Salsa verde
- Sliced avocado
- Pepita seeds
- Add the olive oil to a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in the onion and pepper, and cook for about 5 minutes, until tender. Add in the garlic and cumin, and cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add in the kale and broth. Continue to cook for about 5 to 6 minutes, until the kale is wilted and the broth has evaporated. Transfer the veggies to a bowl.
- If the skillet is dry, add in a splash of extra olive oil. Next, add the eggs to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until scrambled. Season both the veggies and the eggs with salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, spoon some of the kale mixture onto a tortilla. Top with some of the eggs, the salsa, avocado and pepita seeds. Serve immediately.
About half of a medium bunch of kale will give you the 4 to 4 1/2 ounces needed for this recipe.