I'm on a bit of a yoghurt kick at the moment. I can't seem to get enough of it.
But I'm fussy about my yoghurt. It has to be the thick and creamy Greek yoghurt style, and definitely not that horrible watery commercial type with fake fruit flavours!
In fact, this is my favourite. I could eat it by the tubful. And do, especially now that it's berry season.
There's no better simple pleasure than beautiful creamy yoghurt and fresh berries!
And if you love the flavor combination of lemons and blueberries, be sure to check out these totally decadent Blueberry Lemon Brownies too!
After I made my granola last week I decided to make some yoghurt parfaits with it. As I just love that contrast of the smooth yoghurt and the crunch of the oats and nuts in the granola. The result is these Blueberry and Lemon Yoghurt Parfaits.
The lemon comes from a sugar free lemon curd made with honey in place of sugar. Surprisingly the honey doesn't dominate the lemon at all, and is in fact barely noticeable. I also made the blueberry compote with honey in place of the sugar too, so these parfaits are a treat you don't need to feel quite so guilty about.
So tell me, are you a yoghurt nut too? What's your favourite type of yoghurt?
- LEMON CURD:
- 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbs of honey
- 40 g butter
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- BLUEBERRY COMPOTE:
- 300 g of blueberries
- 2 tbs of honey
- juice of half a lemon
- Homemade Granola or use your favourite store bought granola
- 300 g of Greek yoghurt or yoghurt of your choice
- fresh blueberries
- To make the lemon curd place the egg, egg yolk and honey in a saucepan and whisk until smooth. Add the butter, juice and zest and place over a medium low heat. Whisk until thickened, this will take between 5 to 10 minutes. The mixture will be ready when you can see a slight trail from the whisk in the mixture. It will thicken further when refrigerated. Refrigerate overnight.
- To make the blueberry compote combine the blueberries, honey and lemon juice in a small saucepan and place over a medium low heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until the berries have begun to breakdown and release their juices. Refrigerate to cool.
- Assemble the parfaits by placing spoonfuls of the yoghurt in the bottom of 4 small short glasses. Top with spoonfuls of the lemon curd followed by the blueberry compote. Top with handfuls of granola and repeat until you reach the top of the glasses. Finish with a final dollop of yoghurt and blueberry compote and some fresh blueberries. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.