It’s no secret that I adore summer produce. And as my husband likes to so kindly point out, our weekly grocery bill most certainly reflects this love of summer foods. The bill tends to creep up quite a bit this time of the year, as I happily load up my cart with everything the season has to offer. But if you forced me to choose an absolute favorite? Hands down, fresh corn. Well, and watermelon, but for now we’ll stick with the corn!
Each year I get so excited (and possibly a little impatient) for it to show up at my local store. And while I love using it for grilling and cooking, it’s also pretty darn fantastic raw. That crunch! For today’s salad, we are leaving it raw and mixing it together with juicy peaches and crisp cucumber. Some green onion, chopped mint and a honey dressing tie it all together. It’s simple, it’s fast, it’s fresh. And all those wonderful flavors of summer really shine through.
As with all salads, you can adjust the amounts of any of the components to your liking. I think some greens or even a grain would be an excellent addition to this dish, especially if you wanted to bulk it up a little more. You can also switch things out as desired–try a different nut or even sub in fresh basil for the mint.
All the components can be prepped in advance–just don’t toss the dressing with the salad until shortly before serving.
A simple and fresh summer salad filled with cucumber, peaches and fresh corn and finished with a honey and apple cider vinegar dressing.
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 3 small peaches, sliced
- 2 medium ears corn, kernels removed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, add the cucumber, peaches, corn kernels, green onion, mint and almonds. Toss to combine.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Pour the desired amount into the bowl with the cucumber and toss to combine.