Jam packed with shaved dark chocolate and topped with flaky sea salt these vegan chocolate cookies are chewy, gooey and totally decadent.
I've never been a huge cookie person.
Cakes are more my jam.
But I make an exception for double chocolate chip cookies (as you'd probably gather from the number of double chocolate cookie recipes I've shared to date). Because too much chocolate can never be a bad thing right?
These vegan chocolate cookies are packed full of chocolate chips, as any good chocolate chip cookie should be. And when I say chocolate chips I'm talking about roughly chopped chunks of 70% cocoa chocolate.
Chocolate chips are all well and good, but I love the way small slivers of chopped chocolate melt into the cookie and larger pieces become molten and gooey. Especially when they are warm from the oven. Add a sprinkle of flaky sea salt, and a cup of tea and I'm in heaven!
Buckwheat flour adds a lovely slightly nutty note, and at the same time makes these cookies gluten free.
Tell me, are you a cookie or cake person? And what is your favourite flavour?
- 100 g Buckwheat Flour (¾ cup plus 1 tbs)
- 20 g cocoa (2 ½ tbs)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 150 g 70% cocoa dark chocolate roughly chopped (5 ¼ oz)
- 50 g sugar (¼ cup)
- 55 g brown sugar (¼ cup)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tsp canola or other neutral flavoured oil
- 2 ½ tbs water
- Maldon Sea Salt for sprinkling
- You'll need to start this recipe the day before as the cookie dough needs to chill for 12 hours)Place the buckwheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarb (baking soda), and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine and remove any lumps. Add the chocolate to the flour mixture and stir well to coat the chocolate chunks.
- Place the sugars in a seperate bowl along with the water and oil and whisk until smooth and well combined. Add to the flour mixture and mix only until no flour is visible. The mixture should be sticky and not at all dry. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and ensure the bowl is well sealed. Refrigerate the dough for at least 12 hours. Do not skip this step.
- Preheat the oven to 180 celsius (350 fahrenheiand line 2 rimmed baking sheets with baking paper. Remove dough from the refrigerator and take roughly portions roughly 2 tbs in size. Roll into a ball, place onto the baking tray and use the heel of your hand and flatten slightly. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Sprinkle with Maldon and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies will still be slightly soft when you remove them from the oven. Let them cool on the pan for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely. That is if you can resist eating them warm!