As a food blogger, I’m constantly experimenting with new recipes. You would think that means I’m eating something new every day, but that’s definitely not the case. Just like anyone else, I like to have a list of go-to staple dishes that I can rely on when I don’t feel very creative. Which happens more often I care to admit.
Stir-fries have always been one of those meals for me. They’re super easy to throw together, which makes them perfect for busy weeknights, and they’re also versatile, which means you can throw in whatever vegetables happen to be currently in-season.
Most recipes for teriyaki stir-fry involve a homemade teriyaki sauce, but I use store-bought because I’m lazy. As long as it’s a good brand that doesn’t use preservatives or unnecessary additives, then it’s just as good as making your own. That’s what I like to tell myself, at least.
Besides, when you use the store-bought sauce this meal literally takes less than 30 minutes, including chopping the vegetables. Everything gets cooked in one skillet too, making for extremely easy clean-up. That’s assuming you serve it with microwaveable brown rice, of course. Are you starting to notice a trend, yet?
In addition to the rice, I like to top it off with cashews for a nice crunch, sesame seeds and chopped scallions. It makes for a flavorful, satisfying and nutritious meal that you can rely on when the last thing you feel like doing is cooking!Print
Teriyaki Chickpea Stir-Fry
This easy chickpea stir-fry with veggies, cashews, and teriyaki sauce takes just under 30 minutes to cook up and is perfect for busy weeknights.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 8 ounces snap peas
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 16 ounces cooked brown rice
- Chopped scallions
- Sesame seeds
- Roasted cashews
- In a large skillet, warm the sesame oil over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with a few dashes of salt, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Next add the garlic, ginger, and mushrooms, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Add the carrots, bell pepper, and snap peas, stir together and cook for 5-7 more minutes, until the vegetables are tender but still crisp.
- Add the chickpeas with the teriyaki sauce, stir together and cook for 5 more minutes, until everything is evenly coated and heated through. Serve warm with brown rice. Top with scallions, cashews, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Look for a vegan brand of teriyaki sauce if you’d like to keep this recipe vegan.