This Strawberry Mimosa Cupcakes recipe combines a slight strawberry tartness, the citrusy taste of orange, and yes, a little hint of champagne. You won't get drunk from these cupcakes, but you will get a sugar high.
- 1 cup strawberries
- ¼ cup champagne or ginger ale
- ¼ cup white sugar (organic for vegan-friendly)
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp strawberry filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 12 cupcake wrappers in cupcake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using a hand mixer. (You can use a stand mixer for this part too if you have one.) Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a third bowl, whisk together champagne and sour cream. Gradually beat flour and champagne mixtures into butter mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake wrappers and bake for 17–20 minutes. Cool completely.
- To make the strawberry filling, combine strawberries and champagne in a small non-reactive saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Once filling comes to a boil, use a wooden spoon to mash strawberries. Add sugar and continue to cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Cool to room temperature.
- When cupcakes and filling have cooled, you can begin to fill the cupcakes. Use a paring knife to cut a divot into the center of each cupcake. Put about a tablespoon of filling into the hole you've made, then replace divot. (If you've never done this before, read this tutorial.) Reserve 2 tablespoons of filling for frosting.
- To make the frosting, combine cream cheese and butter in a large bowl using a hand or stand mixer at low speed. (If using a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment.) Once mixture is well-combined and fluffy, gradually add powdered sugar with mixer on low. When powdered sugar is fully incorporated, beat in orange zest and strawberry filling.
- Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Garnish with a small orange slices (as shown) or strawberries, if desired.