This Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime and Ginger Mojito is a beautiful update to the classic. Ginger adds a punchy kick while the lemongrass and kaffir lime add a lovely fragrant depth of flavour.
The creation of this recipe has been sponsored by Sodastream.
One of my all time favourite drinks is a mojito.
Sipping on a Mojito brings back memories of my husband and I holidaying in Fiji, before we were married.
Sitting by the pool, a couple of days before the cyclone hit (yes, we encountered a cyclone on our first visit) we soaked up the sun as we sipped on Mojitos.
On our second visit to Fiji, we got engaged (not before my husband lost and then FOUND the engagement ring again on the white sands of Natadola beach). To celebrate, instead of champagne, we opted for Mojitos.
As you can see, Mojitos have a special place in our heart, so it was again Mojitos we celebrated with on our wedding day.
I find it hard to pick any better, more refreshing, and more loved cocktail than a Mojito. Cooling mint. Refreshing lime. And sweetened sparkling water never fail to hit the spot after a day in the sun! What is there not to love?
Even though its winter here a good Mojito is hard to pass up. For this Ginger Mojito though I've gone for one of my favourite flavour combinations - lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime.
I made a simple syrup using raw sugar as the raw sugar adds a lovely slight caramel note to the mojito. After the sugar was dissolved I tossed in a few slices of ginger, kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass, and let them steep in the warm syrup for a couple of hours. If you can leave them overnight it is even better as you end up with a wonderfully punchy syrup.
The syrup is then muddled, in a glass, with fresh lime wedges along with some rum. I like to use Havana Club Anejo Especial. I love the Anejo Especial because it has a depth of flavour. But any white rum you have on hand will be fine.
Topped with sparkling water from my Sodastream, mint leaves and ice I can't think of any better way to celebrate hump day than with my Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime and Ginger Mojito!
So tell me, are you a Mojito lover? If not, what is your favourite cocktail?
Did you make this recipe?
I'd love to see! Share your photo on Instagram and use the hashtag #deliciouseveryday for a chance to be featured or share it on my Facebook page.
Want more delicious recipes?
Subscribe to the Delicious Everyday weekly newsletter. It's FREE! As a subscriber bonus, I'll also send you my guide to pantry essentials for delicious everyday meals.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw sugar
- 5 slices of ginger cut roughly 5mm thick
- leaves handful of kaffir lime
- 1 lemongrass stalk sliced
- 30 ml syrup 1oz, recipe above
- 45 ml Havana Club Anejo Especial or your favourite rum 1 ½ oz
- ½ a lime cut into quarters
- 8 leaves mint
- sparkling or soda water
- lime wheels sprig of mint and lemongrass stalk for garnish
- To make the syrup place the water and raw sugar in a saucepan over a medium low heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and add the lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime leaves. Leave for a couple of hours or overnight before straining. The syrup will keep in a sterilised bottle for around 2 weeks.
- To make the mojito place the syrup, lime and rum in a glass and muddle with a muddling stick to release all the juice from the lime. If you don't have a muddling stick you can use the end of a wooden spoon.
- Place the mint leaves in your hand and clap them together. Rub the mint leaves around the rim of the glass before popping them in the glass. Top with ice and sparkling water. Stir to make sure everything is well mixed, and garnish with lime wheels, a mint sprig and a lemongrass stalk.
This recipe was sponsored by Sodastream. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep Delicious Everyday delivering free recipes to your kitchen!