Spring always feels like a welcomed fresh breath of air after a cold and gloomy winter. I'm a huge fan of the outdoors, and spending so much time inside tends to take it's toll. I get very excited when I start seeing colorful blooms on the trees and am able to feel the warm sunshine on my skin without freezing to death.
Another thing I love about spring is the seasonal fresh produce. Asparagus, spring onions, new potatoes, radishes, peas, bright citrus...it's all so light and refreshing. I also think it pairs perfectly with the cool weather and bright sunny days.
In hopes of getting to spend more time outdoors, I like to make simple meals that still highlight the flavors of spring's best produce. These flatbreads feature a garlic lemon cashew cream topped with crisp shaved asparagus, green onion, and fresh dill. And they are super easy to make!
The cashew cream might sound complicated but once you have the nuts properly hydrated (via soaking) all you have to do is throw them in the blender with a few seasonings and some water. That said, if you are not into the cashew cream idea (or if you have a nut allergy), you can also use a combination of shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
I like to bake the naan for about 10 minutes before topping it so that it gets nice and crispy. However, if you want it to be softer and are using shredded cheese, you can skip that part and just top and bake them as is. A small drizzle of balsamic vinegar offers an extra little pop of flavor, but if you don't have balsamic on hand, they are just as good without. I hope you enjoy them. Cheers to spring!
For the flatbread:
- 2 whole grain naan or other prepared flatbread
For the garlic cashew cream sauce:
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked and drained*
- ½ cup water
- 1-2 garlic cloves depending on size
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch asparagus shaved into strips using a vegetable peeler
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Olive oil and/or balsamic for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and place the naan on a cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- While the naan bakes, prepare the garlic cashew cream sauce by combining the soaked and drained nuts in a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Add more water as needed to thin.
- Remove naan from the oven and set aside to cool a bit while you prepare the toppings.
- Spread a layer of garlic cashew cream sauce on top of each naan loaf, and then top with shaved asparagus, green onion, and crushed red pepper. Bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes, until warm.
- Sprinkle with fresh dill and drizzle with olive oil or balsamic vinegar (optional). Serve warm and enjoy!