I never feel like summer has really started until I’ve had the chance to whip up my first berry crumble of the season. Simple and completely unfussy, there is just something about this quintessential summer treat that signals the start of lazy days and warm weather. I have a tendency this time of the year to go a little overboard and buy way too many fresh strawberries each week at the grocery store. And what better way to put those gorgeous berries to good use than in a fruit crumble!
For the filling, chopped strawberries are tossed with a little lemon juice, brown sugar and a good splash of vanilla extract, which adds a touch of richness. As for the crunchy topping, oats, pecans and a few other ingredients are mixed together with some melted coconut oil, before being sprinkled over the berry filling in a baking dish. The crumble is popped in the oven until golden brown and bubbling, and then served with a generous dollop of whipped coconut cream. It’s like summer in a bowl.
When it comes to fruit crumbles, I prefer to not use cornstarch in the filling and instead opt for a few tablespoons of regular flour. The flour helps to thicken the filling up and gives it a sort of gooey and juicy texture. However, if you like your filling really thick, you could always use cornstarch instead. Omit the flour from the filling and use some cornstarch in its place (you probably will only need about 1 tablespoon of cornstarch).
A vegan strawberry crumble with an irresistible oat and pecan topping. Serve with a dollop of whipped coconut cream for a perfect summer dessert.
- 2 (16-ounce) containers strawberries, hulled and halved (quartered if large)
- Juice of half a medium lemon
- 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- Whipped coconut cream, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Mist a 2 to 3 quart baking dish with olive oil or nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the strawberries, lemon juice, flour, sugar, vanilla and salt to a medium bowl. Toss until combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- Add the oats, flour, pecans, sugar, cinnamon and salt to a medium bowl and toss until well combined. Pour in the oil and mix until evenly moistened. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the strawberries in the baking dish.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until the topping is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling. Let stand for at least 10 minutes. Serve topped with the whipped coconut cream.