When it comes to breakfast, I usually just grab whatever requires the least amount of work. I’m always groggy in the morning and somehow even preparing cereal for myself just seems to be a little too much to handle. Lately, most of my breakfasts consist of soy pudding and a banana. While it’s a delicious breakfast (I mean, pudding for breakfast–isn’t this what we dream about when we’re kids? What we want our adult lives to be like?), it’s lacking in the all-important grain department. So I resolved to make muffins for breakfast. Muffins are easy! And they’re probably more socially acceptable than pudding. Not to mention the whole nutrition thing.
My mom always made banana oatmeal bread growing up, so I thought that would be the perfect way to start my muffins. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white kind and I even added some Greek yogurt, my sworn enemy. (I will never understand how people eat yogurt! Ever! But I like baking with it.) All of this seemed good, but a wee bit boring, so I threw in some chopped frozen strawberries too.
These Banana Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins are the perfect breakfast. They have everything you need to start your day: whole grains, fruit, and yogurt. If you find yourself eating breakfast on the run more often than not, just bring one of these with you in the car and you’re good to go. Oh! And guess what else? They freeze beautifully. Pop them into a freezer bag after they’ve cooled to room temperature and when you’re ready to eat them, heat them for 30 seconds in the microwave. Even at my groggiest, I can handle that. And I feel a little more grown-up now having a healthy muffin for breakfast instead of chocolate pudding.
Breakfast muffins made with yogurt, oatmeal, whole wheat flour, and fruit. Adapted from Banana Yogurt Oatmeal Muffins.
- 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 c. old fashioned oats
- 1-6 oz. container plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 c. mashed ripe banana
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. chopped strawberries (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or fill with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, stir together oats and yogurt until well-combined. Stir in banana, oil, and egg.
- Pour wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until moistened--do not over-mix! Fold in strawberries.
- Divide mixture evenly into muffin cups. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
One Muffin is 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus