Why We Love This Recipe
Forget the sad frozen lunch version of rice and beans—this version has fresh avocado, tomatoes, and bell pepper and it's made with whole food ingredients. And packing it all in a jar makes it super easy to bring to work!
About 150 Best Meals in a Jar
Mason jars are the perfect vessel for so many portable meals—soups, salads, yogurt parfaits, and overnight oats are all easily packed into jars for bringing to work or school. Even desserts can get the mason jar treatment! If you're looking for some mason jar recipe ideas, 150 Best Meals in a Jar has you covered. While this cookbook isn't 100% vegetarian, it does have a lot of vegetarian options. Some of our favorite recipes include:
- Seven-Layer Dip
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- Butternut, Kale and Goat Cheese Salad
- Orzo with Crispy Shallots and Feta Cheese
- Lentil Salad with Tzatziki
- Spicy Tofu and Vegetable Rice Bowl
- Moroccan Squash and Chickpea Stew
- Petite Pumpkin Pies
Purchase This Book
150 Best Meals in a Jar by Tanya Linton is available on Amazon.com.
- 1 1 L mason jar
- 1 ¼ cups water
- ½ cup long-grain brown rice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped avocado
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp hot pepper sauce
- ½ cup canned black beans rinsed drained
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- ¼ cup orange bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in rice and salt, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 to 50 minutes (see tip, at left) or until rice is tender and water is absorbed. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Let cool completely.
- Place avocado in a bowl and drizzle with lemon juice, tossing to coat.
- Spoon sour cream into jar and drizzle with hot pepper sauce, wiping down any splashes on the side of the jar. Layer rice, beans, tomatoes, avocado, orange pepper, cheese and cilantro. Seal jar and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Remove jar from the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving, to bring it to room temperature. Turn jar upside down in a bowl, scooping out the sour cream and dolloping it over the rice.