There are a lot of meal delivery services out there, but Purple Carrot is our favorite—not only are all the recipes plant-based, but they’re delicious too! We’re sharing one of their kid-friendly sandwich recipes below.
- 8 oz purple potatoes
- 1 onion
- 6 oz Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 oz arugula
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- 2 oz roasted red pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 3 T + 2 t vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper
Make the Chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Rinse the potatoes and slice them very thinly — you could use a mandolin if you have one. Put them on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 2 tsp of oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast until browned and crisp, shaking the pan once in a while to ensure even cooking, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Cook the onions
- Put a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp of oil. Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion. Once hot, add the onion and sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the onion to a plate and reduce the heat to medium.
Prep the mushrooms
- Add another tsp of oil to the skillet. Wipe the mushrooms with a damp paper towel and slice them into ¼-inch slices. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned in places, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Pulse the pesto
- Rinse and dry the arugula. In a food processor, combine the arugula, walnuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, and 1/8 tsp of salt. Pulse to blend. With the machine running, pour 2 tbsp of water and 1 tbsp oil through the food tube in a slow, steady stream. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Grill the paninis
- Slice the roasted red peppers. Brush the slices of bread on 1 side with the remaining 2 tsp of oil and then lay them, oiled side down, on a work surface. Divide the arugula pesto among 2 slices and top with the onions, mushrooms, and roasted red peppers. Put the remaining 2 slices of bread on top and grill the sandwiches until browned on the bottom, about 4 to 6 minutes.
Slice and serve
- Once the sandwiches are grilled on both sides, cut them in half and serve with the purple potato chips.