If you are looking for a simple and delicious dessert try this almond flour cake with a strawberry jam topping. This almond flour cake is light, fluffy, and topped with a homemade strawberry jam that is made with just 3 ingredients. This is a gluten free cake!
This Almond Flour Cake Recipe Is...
- Gluten Free
- Made with Homemade Strawberry Jam with Chia Seeds
- Light And Fluffy Cake
How to Make Almond Flour Cake
Full steps on how to make this almond flour cake with strawberry jam is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk through.
- Start by making the jam. Add the chia seeds in water and let it sit for an hour.
- Once it has thickened, and it is a thick paste, add in the berries and sweetener and blend as directed. Store in the fridge.
- For the cake mix eggs in a bowl, and then add more wet ingredients and mix till combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients. Take your egg whites and mix until it forms soft peaks, then mix eggs into the cake mix.
- Pour into the tart pan, and bake as directed.
- Once done and cooled spread with the jam and garnish with fresh berries.
Helpful Tips for Almond Flour Cake
I used a tart pan to make this cake. If you don't have a tart pan it will work in a pie pan as well. You don't want a huge pan or it will overcook and affect the texture of your cake.
You can measure and cut some parchment paper and place on the bottom of your tart pan to help easily remove the cake from the pan once baked and cooled.
Texture of Chia Seeds
You want to allow your chia seeds to thicken for around an hour or so. The idea is to create a thicker paste like texture. Otherwise, it won't be thickened the way you want.
Variations For Almond Flour Cake
Topping Of Cake
The topping of the cake is up to you. You are welcome to use the strawberry jam but you can honestly make it topped any way you want. Top with fresh strawberries, another flavor of jam, etc. Or eat it plain if you would like.
Mix up your own coconut cream and spread it over the cake or add to each slice like a dollop for added creamy sweetness.
Almond Flour Cake FAQs
How to store the almond flour cake?
For the cake you want to keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I store the cake in the fridge, this will help preserve it the best.
Can you freeze the cake?
Yes, this cake can be frozen if you don't want to eat it all the way. Just wrap in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or container. Or you can place in foil then place in a bag or container to prevent it from getting freezer burned. It will store for 3-4 months in the freezer.
Jam (about 2 cups of jam)
- 2 tbsp chía seeds
- ½ cup of water
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- Optional: 1 tbsp of liquid sweetener in my opinion without sweetener is perfect
To make the raw strawberry jam:
- Mix chía seeds and water in a small container. Let it sit for at least half an hour.
- Once chía mucilage has been released, the paste is ready.
- Place chía seeds paste with fresh strawberries and the sweetener (optional) in a blender.
- Pulse until you have a smooth consistency.
- Now your jam is soft and ready to use. Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This jam is the perfect and healthier substitute for store-bought products. You could use any other berry or even a mix of them as a replacement.
To make the cake:
- Beat the eggs yolks in a medium bowl (take the egg whites to another bowl as we’re using them soon).
- Then add monk fruit, vanilla extract, coconut oil, salt and baking powder. Stir until combined.
- Add almond and coconut flour and stir again.
- Set aside.
- Take the egg whites and mix them with an electric mixer until soft picks. This technique will provide extra air bubbles and softness to our cake.
- Once ready, gently mix egg whites with the cake batter.
- Do it in parts for a better result.
- Place the batter in a tart pan with a loose base. Use any other cake pan with a loose base as the results would be similar.
- Bake it in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool before removing the base.
- Spread ½ - ¾ cup of strawberry jam on top of the cake. Garnish with sliced fresh strawberries and desiccated coconut.
- Slice and enjoy!
- This is a great cake to eat with fresh fruit, some coconut cream or even melted chocolate on top.
- Keep it covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.