What I Ate This Week

What I Ate This Week | The Week I Discovered Paper Bag Popcorn

Paper Bag Popcorn

And oh, what a glorious week it was! I loathe microwave popcorn. I find it too salty, too fake buttery and just pretty gross in general. For months now, I’ve been wanting to get a popcorn maker because I figured that was the only solution. But then last weekend, I was reading this month’s Everyday Food and there was a little blurb in there explaining how to make popcorn in a paper bag. Best. Idea. Ever.

Paper Bag PopcornPaper Bag Popcorn // The recipe is all over the internet (I’m apparently the last person to know you can do this) and some of them differ slightly, but here’s the gist: you put some popcorn kernels in a bag, you fold it shut (some recipes say to staple the bag–I wouldn’t recommend this) and you microwave it for about 3 minutes. You can put oil and seasoning in the bag pre-popping, or you can put it on afterwards. I like making mine with about a teaspoon of oil (to help the flavor stick), flavored salts, smoked paprika or chopped fresh rosemary.

Kale and Mushroom Tortilla CupsKale & Mushroom Tortilla Cups // I got this from Everyday Food too. The original called for spinach, but I’m not a big fan, especially when it’s cooked. So I used kale instead. I added caramelized onions (they make everything better, right?) and less cheese. I also omitted avocado. I like this idea of making things in tortilla cups. I will have to revisit it in the near future.

Chai-Spiced Pear Applesauce RecipeChai-Spiced Slow Cooker Pear Applesauce // Can you tell I’m excited about fall?

Lemony Braised BroccoliLemony Braised Broccoli // Another from the September issue of Everyday Food. (Sorry, none of these recipes are available online yet–they want you to buy the magazine!) Usually I love everything I make from Everyday Food, but this was pretty meh. I prefer my broccoli roasted.

Sun-Dried TomatoesSun-Dried Tomatoes // I’ve been making these every weekend to eat throughout the week! Making your own sun-dried tomatoes is much easier than you think and they taste so much better than the store-bought kind. Read my post on Henry Happened to find out how to make them yourself!

September 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

I did quite a few bags of that popcorn this week too for a recipe. I want to say I love it but my flavorings haven’t stuck as much as I’d like so I’ll probably stick with my TJ’s Kettle Corn since I can’t seem to recreate it at home. 🙁 (Feel free to take that as a personal challenge if you’re up for it!)

Have a great weekend girl!

September 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

Were you putting the oil and seasonings on before or after popping? I was doing the oil before and the seasoning after. I hope you have a great weekend too!

shelly (cookies and cups)
    September 7, 2012 at 8:05 am

I never knew about paper bag popcorn either! What the?
    That’s awesome!

September 7, 2012 at 10:47 am

It is completely life changing. Completely.

Paula - bell'alimento
    September 7, 2012 at 11:13 am

My kids LOVE popcorn. We’ve been making it in the bag for a while now and love it!

Meg
    September 7, 2012 at 11:33 am

I didn’t know about the paper bag popcorn! All this time I have been popping my popcorn in my cast iron dutch oven for my kids after school snack. I hate the clean up, but I refuse to feed them microwave popcorn. We have a friend who’s father used to work for one of the major microwave popcorn companies back in the 90’s and he wouldn’t allow his family to touch the stuff. That should tell you something! Thanks so much for sharing. 🙂

September 10, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I’ve heard about people working at those factories and getting sick too! So scary. I don’t even think it tastes very good, but I’m partial to plain popcorn anyway. 🙂

September 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

You have me at tortilla cups! Didn’t know about paper bag popcorn either…I guess it’s because I have never made any popcorn at home.

Kate
    September 7, 2012 at 11:37 am

I tried the paper bag popcorn method and liked it a lot; only trouble on this end is that I’m kind of a freak about the use of cloth bags for every little shopping trip under the sun- seriously, my son thinks I am CA-RAY-ZEE- so the availability of paper bags in our house is not the most dependable. But given that popcorn is my all time favorite snack, I should loosen my eco-friendly grasp on the cloth sack and pick up a few paper ones here and there.

Love those tortilla cups too. Might have to explore that one a bit.

September 10, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Oh yes, I’m the same way about cloth bags. You do have to buy the little paper lunch sacks to make this popcorn, but I figure that’s more eco-friendly than traditional microwave popcorn. Right? 🙂

Janel
    September 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

I love brown paper popcorn! My latest fav is sea salt and (white) vinegar. Yes I drizzle vinegar on the popcorn, which makes it kinda soggy in some spots, but I think it’s worth it because I love the flavor!

One more thing…every time I come to your blog (a lot!) the like, tweet, g+, etc. bar pops up on the left hand column, and scrolls as I scroll down the page. However, it blocks some of the left side of your blog, so I actually can’t read the first few words in each line. How do I get it to go away? Or move?

September 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I know! My designer is going to tweak that. Actually, it’s easy to fix on your end too–you just need to expand your browser window. 🙂 I guess the designer of the plugin figured that people have their browser windows opened up larger! Anyway, it should be fixed within a week or so.

BusyWorkingMama
    September 7, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I’ve heard nothing about the popcorn bag. I will have to try it – I hate the fake butter flavor of store bought popcorn. We had a stove-top popcorn maker that just got ucky after a while. Will try it out! But agreed on the staples!! Not good for a microwave.

September 10, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I was really surprised to see so many people saying staples were okay in a microwave! I accidentally put a tiny bit of foil in the microwave once and I quickly learned my lesson after that.

Brenda Williams
    September 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

Love making popcorn like this and put garlic salt on it.

Stephanie @ henry happened
    September 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Well, you’re not the last person because I haven’t heard of the popcorn bag – but I’m definitely going to try it! I have a little bag of microwave popcorn pretty much every night – it’s my late night blogging snack 🙂

September 10, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Popcorn is one of my favorite snacks too. I am a volume eater, so I love seeing a big bag of popcorn in front of me and knowing I can eat it alllll without feeling guilty.

Sheila
    September 7, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Wow.. It is 9 pm and now I am hungry! LOL

Lori Popkewitz Alper
    September 8, 2012 at 9:46 am

I’m a huge fan of paper bag popcorn. If you’re going to use the microwave this is the way to go. Microwave popcorn that comes prepackaged isn’t healthy at all-toxic chemicals are released once the bag is heated. I wrote all about perfect popcorn here: http://groovygreenlivin.com/2012/03/how-to-make-perfect-popcorn/

September 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Yup, I’ve also heard stories about people who have gotten sick from working at microwave popcorn factories. Scary stuff! Thanks for sharing this.

Jennifer H
    September 8, 2012 at 3:15 pm

omg that applesauce, yum!

RJ
    September 9, 2012 at 12:30 am

Love the idea of making organic/homemade popcorn in a paper bag!

Parsley Sage
    September 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

How much of a dork am I that I got more excited about the broccoli than the popcorn? Foodie fail. All of it looks lovely though!

September 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Ha! I love broccoli too. Just not braised, I guess. I had high hopes for that recipe too!

HilLesha
    September 9, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Everything looks good, but the Kale & Mushroom Tortilla Cups look very scrumptious! 🙂

Stefani
    September 9, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I didn’t know you could make popcorn in a paper bag either. What a great idea. My kids LOVE popcorn so I might have to try this.

Maggie
    September 9, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have to try the popcorn!

Anne
    September 9, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I usually just make air popped popcorn, but paperbag sounds interesting too!

Natalie
    September 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I vaguely recall seeing paper bag popcorn somewhere once but I didn’t know much about it either! I’m not too sure where I would look for paper bags, as strange as that sounds, but if I find them I’ll be giving this a try!

September 10, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I think they’re kind of a relic these days–most people don’t use them to bring their lunches to school or work anymore. But they’re usually sold by the plastic bags, foil, plastic wrap, etc. at the grocery store.

[email protected] The Spring Mount 6 Pack
    September 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm

I have to try that popcorn

Courtney Rae Jones
    September 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

That chai apple sauce looks incredible! 🙂

And I MUST make paper bag popcorn! I had seen the idea before, but keep forgetting to try it. Would be so nice to make some fresh pop corn and play around with seasonings.

September 10, 2012 at 1:59 pm

It is so good! There are more kernels at the bottom of the bag than when you make regular microwave popcorn, but other than that it works perfectly.

[email protected] eco friendly homemaking
    September 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Everything looks so delicious but I especially like the looks of those sun dried tomatoes!

Rachel
    September 10, 2012 at 12:39 am

Forget the popcorn I want the pear applesauce please.

Heidi @ Food Doodles
    September 11, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yum! This week looks delicious! The popcorn(so awesome!) the tortilla cups, the applesauce… Mmmm!

• 1 2